Report: Dell to Jump on Smartphone Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why are Acer and Dell making phones? They aren't hardware companies, they are hardware repackaging companies. The only things either company actually makes are the cases they put their computers in (and maybe keyboards and mice).

What would make Dell or Acer think they know the first thing about phones? All they do is screw parts together and charge a nice premium for it. At least Apple writes the software it puts on its phones and computers.

Competition is always good, but I'm always wary of unrelated company's getting into the mix (even when the iPhone was just a rumor). Anyone remember when Quaker Oats started making video games?

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Anyone remember when Quaker Oats started making video games?[/citation]

No actually...but then I think that only goes to reinforce your point.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
To be honest, nekatreven, it was a little before my own time. When looking into old video consoles, and the video game crash of the early 80's I came across this little fact. A cereal company getting into the act was a big indication that the market was being oversturated.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Dell has some bucks to throw around im sure… I hope they do well, the more the merrier FOR US! Competition is a beautiful thing in the electronics world.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Some days I think I'm the only person on the face of the planet that doesn't get giddy at the though of broken web browsing lame games and typing OMG, lol and ROTFLMAO getting charged both ways taking 30 minutes to have a 1 minute conversation.

I HATE cell phones. I hate that when I don't answer people know I'm avoiding them. Sometimes I don't feel like talking, or being available. I hate that I have to have one for work, and feel like I'm always on call. This has been my Friday, I'm ready to get the hell out of here, rant.

Another company in the scene? pffft.
And I'm like the most techie guy people know.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"What would make Dell or Acer think they know the first thing about phones? All they do is screw parts together and charge a nice premium for it. At least Apple writes the software it puts on its phones and computers."

You could say the same thing about Apple a few years ago. Apple only knows how to make fancy cases and charge 5x more than everone else for them. Not sure if I see any difference.

Boom42

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
[citation][nom]saturn77[/nom]You could say the same thing about Apple a few years ago. Apple only knows how to make fancy cases and charge 5x more than everone else for them. Not sure if I see any difference.[/citation]

Apple has always developed the OS their devices use, Dell does not.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I don't see why not.

They'll offer a few customization options that are way much to overpriced, and they'll included a Windows OS bogged down with all their bull****.

G

Well the old Dell Axim was a great PDA. I'm still using my X51v. I'd love to have a version of it with phone features built in it.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
im interested in dell getting into the smart phone market. i have heard people loving there pda's. and i used to have an old dell dj 5 gb and i loved it. i thought it was the best mp3 player in the world and i still miss it even tho i have my 80 gig ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.