Report: FBI to Test iPhone-based Fingerprint Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Ah, smartphones. Is there anything they can't do?
Make coffee, tea, dinner etc.

Furthermore I do not approve of this. Whilst the development is nice, I dissaprove of the police using this to start scanning everyone and comparing them to a national database. The only way that this could be granted my approval is if someone comes to scan you for your fingerprint, you would never need to show any ID. Only if this catches someone would you need to show ID obviously (possibly worse). Am I making any sense?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
They can scan my middle finger...
Another step towards a police state, where people can be stopped and identified at the whim of the authority. And the excuse "I don't have my ID with me right now" is not going to work.
And good choice, selecting a device that is not secure at all for communicating all that data... good choice.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Isn't fingerprint scanning supposed to be easily duplicable, fallible & have a less-than-enviable accuracy record? Won't smartphones worsen this problem ??

G

There are a lot of inaccurate statements in this blog post. 1. The FBI has already certified and approved FbF mobileOne, therefore there will be no testing in 2012. The product is already listed as an FBI IAFIS approved product. 2. Mr. Nosker did not state that an Android version would never happen.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
It would be a lot better that all devices are equipped with a fingerprint scanner, that would be verified by the carrier.
So anyone stealing a cellphone would not be able to use it, unless they re-register the phone with a competing phone company or cell service provider!

Status
Not open for further replies.