Report: Google to Buy Yelp for $500 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yup, Never heard of it either!

Then again, it sounds as if it's been stepped on.

G

Far into the distant future when humanity has become extinct or has left this planet, I imagine an alien race will discover the dregs of our "civilization" and perhaps, attempt to endeavor to piece together who we "were" by examining our technology.
Their only conclusion, I imagine, is that "human beings" were a strange creature. Human beings, they will discover, developed ever increasingly complex technology that allowed them to live and participate vicariously in the lives of their fellows, rather than their own.
Good luck with your acquisition Google. Oh yeah and thanks for making Chrome available for linux!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]For something so "big" i've never heard of Yelp.[/citation]
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]not familiar with Yelp...[/citation]
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Yup, Never heard of it either!Then again, it sounds as if it's been stepped on.[/citation]

Man, Yelp is massive. Reviews of over 2 million businesses (restaurants, retailers, hotels, barber shops, malls, events etc). You guys should check it out. Seriously handy site and you don't have to be a member to use it.

G

Why is it the Read more here link goes to a totally unrelated article?

Read more here link at time of this reply
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/17/twitter-reportedly-hacked-by-iranian-cyber-army/

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Man, Yelp is massive. Reviews of over 2 million businesses (restaurants, retailers, hotels, barber shops, malls, events etc). You guys should check it out. Seriously handy site and you don't have to be a member to use it.[/citation]

Well, there's the problem - us tech geeks don't go to them fancy places: restaurants, retailers, hotels, barber shops, malls, events, outside...

Nah, I'm just teasing. This site seems to cover only specific cities and only in the US, UK and Canada. Unless one is living there or happens to travel there, there's nothing much to do with it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Why is it the Read more here link goes to a totally unrelated article?Read more here link at time of this replyhttp://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/ [...] yber-army/[/citation]

Because there was a mistake with the link. Should be fixed now.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Man, Yelp is massive. Reviews of over 2 million businesses (restaurants, retailers, hotels, barber shops, malls, events etc). You guys should check it out. Seriously handy site and you don't have to be a member to use it.[/citation]Except for the fact it assumes you're from US. At least I got that impression by looking at their front page...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Except for the fact it assumes you're from US. At least I got that impression by looking at their front page...[/citation]

.com yes but at the top of the page you can go to Canada, UK or Ireland.

G

[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Because there was a mistake with the link. Should be fixed now.[/citation]
Figured you'd see my post.

If there was a report problem button at the base of the article, I could have used that instead.

Thanks for fixing the link :D

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]backin5[/nom]This site seems to cover only specific cities and only in the US, UK and Canada. Unless one is living there or happens to travel there, there's nothing much to do with it.[/citation]
Fortunately, it seems that many people happen to live or travel to the U.S., UK, Ireland and Canada -- making this a useful tool.

This could be why Google sees value in a review site that covers a very large portion of the western world.

Perhaps there's also something about Yelp's language slant that makes them focus on reviews from English-speaking nations in the northern hemisphere, and thus catering to a more easily moderated market? Seems likely.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Figured you'd see my post.If there was a report problem button at the base of the article, I could have used that instead.Thanks for fixing the link[/citation]

You're welcome. The bold was kind of excessive, though. I read all comments so I would have fixed it even if you'd just said, 'There's a problem with the Link."

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Fortunately, it seems that many people happen to live or travel to the U.S., UK, Ireland and Canada -- making this a useful tool.This could be why Google sees value in a review site that covers a very large portion of the western world.Perhaps there's also something about Yelp's language slant that makes them focus on reviews from English-speaking nations in the northern hemisphere, and thus catering to a more easily moderated market? Seems likely.[/citation]

Easy, Marcus, you're taking my comment way too seriously considering it was only supposed to be funny :)

dl100

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
JMcEntegart :
Because there was a mistake with the link. Should be fixed now.

Wow! Jane's hot when she's mad. :)

Gutbop

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I just googled "yelp" and got these 3 news headlines:
"Google loses Yelp, sees big tax break"
"Yelp bails on Google deal?"
Yelp walks away from Google, and half a billion dollars"

Looks like no such deal will happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS