Report: Google Working on 7-inch Kindle Fire Rival

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'd consider it if it had a camera and better audio. My biggest complaint with my Fire tablet is the lack of a front facing camera for Skype (I don't care at all about a rear facing camera as I do not run around taking pictures with a tablet). I also do not like its lack of a mike and its horrible speakers. To me, if Google marketed a 7" which had good speakers and a camera and a mike and offered android then yes I would consider buying it and would buy it if the price was right.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Whats the point? Google offer nowhere near the content Amazon created the Fire to let consumers purchase. Besides, for around $100 more than the fire you can grab a 10" tablet like the Iconia A500 which offers a 'full' android experience better screen and full access to the app store.

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I can't see a Google tablet selling well this late in the game unless it offers significantly more features than the Fire.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Can somebody tell me what Kindle Fire can do but Android 3.0/4.0 Tablet can not... beside being much cheaper and being a much more closed environment...?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I would consider one from Google, they know the best hardware to match with their software at given price ranges.

They would ensure a decent and zippy user experience even at low price ranges with the most features because it would be in-house.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I guess the question is...

Is Google trying to set an example of Android Tablets like what they did for the Nexus phones?
or Is Google actually trying to dig some money out of the Android Tablet market?

If is the former.. I will agree with Google. If is not.... that is just a bad idea...

Villers

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Google needs to do this imo... they need to offer the true android experience. There are too many "things" that run android that are sub par. there needs to be a pinnacle device that allows android to show off its true colors and sets the standard.. P.S. Google you better give the user thread top priority this laggy interface shit has gone on long enough. In my opinion is the only thing that is blatantly wrong with android. Everything else is just right! This is Googles chance to prove them selves. Give me that buttery smooth interface on a big samoled and ill be content..

Villers

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Fix The LAG For Androids sake! I don't care what it takes just fix it already! Its the only thing I ask! that and samoled ;)

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is a prime example of Google chopping its feet off. Why would you want to compete with your own product? Are you stating on record that all current manufactures do not know how to use Android?

While I do find current and past Android units buggy and laggy, Google should be working closer to those manufactures to figure out why it is.

Villers

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Its not so much as manufactures problems but Googles own. The Android system does not give the user thread priority like an apple device. if they did there would be no competition imo. I could care less if my new app installs quicker, just let me use my device in the meantime. there is an article about this issue. I'm hoping with this tablet that this would be the one thing that they address and allow to be available for all devices.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Can somebody tell me what Kindle Fire can do but Android 3.0/4.0 Tablet can not... beside being much cheaper and being a much more closed environment...?[/citation]
It's cheaper because it does less and then it's even a little bit more cheap because it's in a closed environment. It doesn't do more, it does less, because it's cheaper. Also, it's cheaper because it does less. Get it?

G

There are not enough options for 7" tablets out there, I am excited about the idea of a google 7". Personally, I think this is more of a dig at Apple than anybody else. Apple designs their product lines carefully so as not to interfere with one another, and Apple's lack of a 7" tablet is no mistake on their part - they don't want it to compete with their slightly smaller iphone on features, or with their 10" tablets on price. Bringing in a high quality 7" tablet may not hurt Apple a great deal directly, but it will mess with their product lines and encourage people looking for the product they've failed to market - such as myself - to switch to android.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
There are not enough options for 7" tablets out there, I am excited about the idea of a google 7". Personally, I think this is more of a dig at Apple than anybody else. Apple designs their product lines carefully so as not to interfere with one another, and Apple's lack of a 7" tablet is no mistake on their part - they don't want it to compete with their slightly smaller iphone on features, or with their 10" tablets on price. Bringing in a high quality 7" tablet may not hurt Apple a great deal directly, but it will mess with their product lines and encourage people looking for the product they've failed to market - such as myself - to switch to android.

I am inclined to disagree, as I think they do compete with their own products. For instance I think the Ipod touch competes with the Iphone. At least as I understand it; the Ipod touch does pretty mouch everything the Iphone can do except make phone calls. (I have never actually seen an Ipod touch in use, so please correct me if I am misinformed)

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I'd consider it if it had a camera and better audio. My biggest complaint with my Fire tablet is the lack of a front facing camera for Skype (I don't care at all about a rear facing camera as I do not run around taking pictures with a tablet). I also do not like its lack of a mike and its horrible speakers. To me, if Google marketed a 7" which had good speakers and a camera and a mike and offered android then yes I would consider buying it and would buy it if the price was right.[/citation]
FYI - When talking about a microphone, it's spelled Mic. I don't know who this Mike person is you want the tablet to come with, but I certainly don't want a tablet to come with any dudes! Especially if my wife is going to buy one!
But all joking aside, I do agree with you. If the Fire had a front camera for skype, I would seriously think about it.

G

It must have a GPS sensor to use with Google Maps, a major ommision in the Kindle Fire maybe lack of mic and front camera for skype is as important, as is access to external USB/Flash card expansion, but that applies to most tablets. I don't need tham to power an external disk drive just connect to transfer files easily, even connection to a PC to transfer files seems to much trouble for most tablet makers They are My Files for heavens sake not theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.