Report: iPad 2 Will Have a USB Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
This is an important article because it means that all existing accessories will not natively work with the new ipad model. There has been a push to standardize connections all around. You all wouldn't be saying this if it were a non-apple report. And no I am not an Apple fan.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i don't think this rumour is going to be correct at all... apple "license" all devices that are made for the ipod iphones, and ipads by using the dock connector as the interface (the dock connector is what companies need to pay a license fee to use). if they turned over to standard usb, there would go all the license fees, anybody could make a device for an i whatever without paying apple a single penny..

also, the ipods, iphones ipads conform with the "must be able to charge from a standard usb port" ruling because they all ship with the cable that runs from the dock connector to a standard usb port.. this enables the user to use ANY usb charging device (plug in wall, or computer usb port) as the dock cable provides the link and is included with the device when purchased.

so i don't think the usb port will appear anytime soon, if ever....!

G

Another sad example of a website trying to vamp up pageviews to sell to advertisers based around a shit report!!

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Even my vintage Win 95/Dos era Pentium 1 Gateway has usb ports. Even the dated iMac G3 has usb ports so for the iPad to only have gotten one recently just comes to show just how backward Apple has become. I know they didn't hire mostly retards for their engineering depart unless they got rid of many of the old timers for affirmative action and low qualified engineers.

G

My company will NOT use Ipads until we can output EVERYTHING we see on the screen to a larger screen. If this is supposed to be business friendly I'm missing something. There are really good aps for the ipad that produce fantastic presentations, but if we can't project it onto a big screen, how is that going to help our business. I've read about ''jailbreaking'' but who wants all that aggravation. I'm sticking with a laptop until this much hyped device allows us to do what WE want to do, not what someone else deems we are''allowed'' to do.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Wasn't there a document signed, which apple also signed, that said that all mobile devices should, if sold after 2012 or something, be chargable and usable with an usb port ?

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
iPad 2 = USB v1.1

iPad 3 = USB v2 Released 2012

iPad 4 = USB v3 Released 2013

Only Apple can make old technology cool again. LOL

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
What i think the european government meant was for the device side to have a female usb plug so that people could use one of many mini-usb cables they already own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS