Report: iPad 3 Shipments on The Way to the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]tristan_b[/nom]Is is 16x9 yet? No, well then I'll pass, thank you.[/citation]

Seriously?! deal with the black bars you're getting higher than 1920x1080 native. The picture format is irrelevant for most other use which need to display 'pages' in portrait mode. 1920x1080 in portrait mode is almost pointless.

G

It doesn't matter if its 2048 x 1536 or lower than 1920x1080... when the screen it will all look the same.. just look at the Zune HD. High resolution is pointless in such small devices... now if this was a 50 inch Ipad, then we would be talking.... X)

G

I swear people just b!tch to b!tch.The overall shape of a 16x9 tablet would be very strange and while 16x9 is great for television, why not just watch TV on a television? or deal with black bars on your tablet. Not everything is 16x9, so there is going to be black bars on some content no matter what.
a 16x9 tablet is far from ideal for every other task is does.

rogumbi

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I need a portable personal assistant with Artificial Intelligence built-in. Something that can remember things for me. It will be aware of its sorroundings, people I've met, things that interest me, etc. I can talk to it and it can talk to me. It will say, time to wake up, take your medicine, how are you feeling. Do you know there is a new movie on TV you might like. Do you want me to tape it for you. Sure. Meanwhile, I have no use for any iPad, MaxiPad, milliPade, or whatever. Useless toy stuff for the elitist of this world. Besides, I cannot afford it and I want to occupy WallStreet.

[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]Seriously?! deal with the black bars you're getting higher than 1920x1080 native. The picture format is irrelevant for most other use which need to display 'pages' in portrait mode. 1920x1080 in portrait mode is almost pointless.[/citation]
AR - description
1.29 - 8.5"x11" letter-sized sheet of paper (13.9" diagonal)
1.33 - 4:3 e.g. 9.7" iPad
1.36 - 7"x9.5" letter-sized page with 0.75" margins (11.8" diagonal)
1.41 - 297x210mm A4 page (14.3" diagonal)
1.43 - 7"x10" Time magazine minus margins (12.2" diagonal)
1.46 - 277x190mm A4 page w/ 2cm margins (13.2" diagonal)
1.50 - 35mm SLR film size (also DSLR photo size)
1.60 - 16:10 e.g. most 10.1" Android tablets
1.64 - 5.5"x9" Nat Geo magazine minus margins (10.5" diagonal)
1.71 - most 7" Android tablets
1.73 - 7.5"x13" legal-sized page w/ 1" margins
1.78 - 16:9 e.g. HDTV

I've bolded the sizes which I think are most important. The two in italics are for reference (nobody prints content to the edge of the page except for photos, whose size doesn't matter as much). Personally I think 16:10 is the ideal ratio for a tablet. It's a good compromise between displaying paper/magazine formats, SLR photos, and HDTV movies. 3:2 would be better, but that's harder to do with multiples of 2. 16:9 is skewed too far towards the long and skinny end, while 4:3 is skewed too far towards the square end.

As for black bars, on the iPad's 4:3 aspect ratio screen:
- a 4:3 TV show or page has a 9.7" diagonal (no pixels wasted)
- a 16:9 movie a diagonal of 8.9" (25% of pixels wasted in black bars)

On a 10.1" 16:10 screen:
- a 16:9 movie has a 9.8" diagonal (10% waste)
- a 4:3 TV show or page is 8.9" diagonal (16.7% waste).

Also, from the diagonals, you can see traditional printed formats clump around 12"-13" diagonal for readable text. The current iPad and 10.1" Android tablets are about 20%-30% too small. The 7" and 8" tablets hit the paperback size perfectly though.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rogumbi[/nom]I need a portable personal assistant with Artificial Intelligence built-in. Something that can remember things for me. It will be aware of its sorroundings, people I've met, things that interest me, etc. I can talk to it and it can talk to me. It will say, time to wake up, take your medicine, how are you feeling. Do you know there is a new movie on TV you might like. Do you want me to tape it for you. Sure. Meanwhile, I have no use for any iPad, MaxiPad, milliPade, or whatever. Useless toy stuff for the elitist of this world. Besides, I cannot afford it and I want to occupy WallStreet.[/citation]

Just get a wife/husband.... but not sure how long she/he can cope with you. Or better yet exercise thing called "memory", otherwise you will get lost on your couch.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"it takes a bit of time to ship a massive number of iPads from Asia, where they're manufactured"

No, it does not. I used to work in electronics Import/Export.
747 or A380 cargo planes can do it in 24h.
Add a day for customs clearance (with Apple's cloud it is faster than you and I getting something thru customs), and another day for delivery to locale distribution centers etc.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SuckRaven[/nom]It seems though that the iPad 3 will not have the A6 as some people thought, but the A5X dual core instead:http://www.afterdawn.com/news/arti [...] _processirPeople will still snap them up like ducks snap up pieces of bread tho. =)[/citation]

In some workloads dual core is faster than quad core, depending on architecture and clock speed.

I doubt the performance will disappoint.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Remember last years Apples marketing video below? Rumor has it that the iPad 3 have the same type of launch and have the same type of changes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ6UY_y8p4[/citation]

LOL

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you can't add memory cards. then I won't buy it. What they do is actually worse than proprietary memory (sony vita), plus it is shooting themselves in the foot.

You would think they would never want to hear "I can't buy any more apps, movies or songs because I am low or out of memory".

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
they want you to run out of memory, so that you can buy another ipad with more memory.

you will like the ipads that much!

Status
Not open for further replies.