Report: iPhone 5 to Get November 21 UK Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The iPhones generally release with pretty good hardware. Nothing I would personally buy, and probably not the best for long, but... pretty good.

On the iPhone4 I was annoyed that the high pixel density on the screen was being praised so damn much, considering the average at best display contrast, black quality, etc, which IMHO made the screen just "good" but certainly inferior to screens in about 4 other phones at the time... but regardless, it was still a pretty nice screen, and better than most. I could say the same about many of the other hardware choices on the iPhone4 at release.... that they were above average, or good, but not the best. Overall, I'd say the phone had pretty competitive hardware for a high end smartphone.

Of course its not able to match up well against bleeding edge stuff months later. That's unfair to compare... and of course Apple's going to get edged out on pieces of hardware sourced from Samsung, when compared to Samsung's own phones.

With an iPhone you're basically buying a smartphone with good hardware, with a OS well optimized for that specific hardware, with software that's well optimized for that hardware, on a user interface that has cut out a lot of features with intent to feel smooth, simple, and streamlined. Its a pretty good user experience... it makes a lot of sense that people buy iPhones, actually. They're pretty good...

I personally wouldn't buy one. No hardware keyboard is a dealbreaker for me, before I even consider other annoyances, such as having to use the Appstore, which I feel Apple controls unfairly, DRM, and my general hatered of Apple as a company that's becoming more and more evil.... but, saying "I don't like iPhone's because I don't like where Apple is heading as a company, and view them as a threat against me, taking away my control, rights, and privacy as a user" is different than saying "iOS sucks, and Apple uses bad hardware". The second statement is just... false.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I will never buy an iPhone for the following reasons:

1. I don't like spending $800 on a phone, and I like signing 3-year contracts even less.
2. I don't like the fact that in their 6th revision of the same product, they still have no Flash support. I don't really know how you justify that considering every website and their grandmas have flash elements in 1 form or another, and not supporting it in this day and age is just unacceptable.
3. I don't like the absurd amount of control they exert over the OS, not to mention the lack of tethering. I do a lot of work on the go where wifi is not accessible, and having that Android Mobile Hotspot option is invaluable to me.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Doubt it will be worth its logo any more. It can't possibly be "better" than even half the new phones now. SGS ii and EVO 3D as an example.

I'll retire my 3GS and get the Nokia N9 :)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Then, apparently, the 'Samsung Droid Charge' has a 'way nicer screen' .... lets check, shall we? The Samsung resolution is 480 x 800 pixels. The iPhone 4 is 960 x 640. Now, I may not have studied maths for a long time, but 960 is bigger than 800, right? And 640 is bigger than 480 right? And because the screen is bigger - it will look even worse, right? Right. Now, lets also realise that the Samsung Droid was released 6/7 months? after the iPhone. And it's still worse. Finally on this topic, 'Kid toys' is very ironic given that you appear to be unable to utilise a screen unless it's big and idiot (or should I say kid) proof.[/citation]
Just because a screen has a higher resolution doesn't mean it's better. Ask any designer, photographer,... what they prefer, a IPS screen with for example 1680x1050 resolution or a TN screen with 1920x1080.
Even though the iPhone has an IPS screen, the S-AMOLED in the Galaxy S is better at reproducing colors as many tests have shown. Also in every comparison between both screens, the testers couldn't find any advantage, quality wise, in having a higher resolution, even though the Galaxy has a bigger screen with a smaller resolution.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
iPhone 5 is supposed to be a hardware update with a similar processor and GPU as the iPad 2. But this article states different details, so in November we will see what this device will have in its guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.