Report: Israeli ISPs Are Blocking P2P Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]The company received Ynet's report and examined the evidence, however it said that it's making "great efforts in providing its clients with the best surfing experience."[/citation]

P2P traffic is not part of "surfing." On a crappy network it could slow down HTTP traffic which is for "surfing", so by providing the best surfing experience they admitted to blocking P2P!

elasticman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
bezeq int. is not doing anything in that manner.
i have had a subscription with them for about 10 years or so...and never have i had any problems.
i know that Netvision and Internet Zahav are in fact doing so...
there are more ISP's in israel - Orange (which im currently using) and it DOES NOT trafic-shape or anything of that kind and xfone - who from what i have heard,is not playing dirty,too

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]P2P traffic is not part of "surfing." On a crappy network it could slow down HTTP traffic which is for "surfing", so by providing the best surfing experience they admitted to blocking P2P![/citation]

I have to wonder somethign though..This doesnt happen here, in Greece, but when I came back to my country fom the U.S. I checked current good providers, right? speeds, prices, reliability check etc. So P2P slows down your surfing cause using up the bandwidth. I dont see any other reason. I'm sorry but who is to tell me not to do so, P2P reasons or not, when I pay something extra for bigger upload and download rates? This is plain stupid.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]simple...use a VPN....then the isp can't see what your traffic is.[/citation]
It's not as simple as that. Both ends of the connection have to be involved in order for a VPN connection to exist. You don't just flip a switch, virtual or otherwise, labeled "VPN" and all of a sudden your connection is secure for monitoring. The problem with P2P connections is that they utilize the "other" ports. By that I mean, all of the common Internet services, such as web, email, ftp, telnet, dns, etc. all have known "official" port numbers. Commonly used communications software, games and such, also have known port numbers. The P2P software, which can use different, user-specified port numbers tend to be in the other category. This makes it a lot easier for that traffic to be singled-out. Deep packet inspection can then be used to ascertain the content of packets; and the same technology which is used to help ISPs mitigate the propagation of malware can be used to mitigate P2P traffic.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
^^ So if you choose a port number used for games or email or other common types of traffic for your p2p connection then your traffic won't come into the "other" catagory?

Also many VPN's encrypts traffic 128 bit encrption...surely that would stop deep packet inspection snooping on it?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]^^ So if you choose a port number used for games or email or other common types of traffic for your p2p connection then your traffic won't come into the "other" catagory?Also many VPN's encrypts traffic 128 bit encrption...surely that would stop deep packet inspection snooping on it?[/citation]
Yes, encryption prevents DPI, but like I said, it requires something to be setup on both ends. You can't just encrypt your P2P traffic. You would need a way to exchange the key with every other peer so your P2P connection would work. But then, if the key was that broadly distributed, it defeats the whole purpose behind encryption.

As for routing P2P traffic over "official" ports such as email or web. The problem with that is the that the routers and servers expect traffic over these ports to conform to certain specifications. If the traffic does not, it will likely be discarded. That is one of the reasons why https traffic requires a different port than regular http traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS