Report: Microsoft's ARM-based Surface Tablet to Cost $600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, these are cheap! You're getting a real computer with the PRO with real ports and the tablet includes a cover that is also a keyboard? If it doesn't include the keyboard, it is still a good eal. I have the new ipad and I am looking forward to picking one of these up in 2013 when it's time for me to upgrade my pc.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]No no, $600 is too much for Arm hardware.At these prices, i will finally make the jump and get an iPad![/citation]
Which, incidentally, is an ARM powered device....

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
In an era of free-to-play AAA games, license-free mobile OSs, and below-cost priced tablets; Microsoft still think they can hold on to their extortionate OS license fee. Well if they refuse to learn these lessons from the market, their reputation as an inflexible dinosaur will stick for a while longer.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]**snip**- have a 1366 x 768 display,**snip**[/citation]

I'm I the only one who thinks that the new ipad's screen is a gimmick? Not even full HD movies have that res.

I mean, yes, higher resolution is always better, but for the screen size it is overkill for me.

Come on, just because you can stick a V8 engine in a mini cooper it doesn't mean you should.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]In an era of free-to-play AAA games, license-free mobile OSs, and below-cost priced tablets; Microsoft still think they can hold on to their extortionate OS license fee. Well if they refuse to learn these lessons from the market, their reputation as an inflexible dinosaur will stick for a while longer.[/citation]

You spelled Apple wrong

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]So, what exactly is the difference -- besides the different CPUs, etc. -- of Windows RT & Windows 8 Pro?[/citation]
I believe 8 Pro will run on x86, so you'd be able to install any of your programs you have already. Since RT is ARM based, you can't do that with that version.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Rumor as a Report.

Hey guys my mother's sister's cousin who has a dog that just so happens to be walked by the grandmother of a major Microsoft Exec is "estimating" it will cost around 300 bucks. Can Toms hardware do an article about this comment and call it a report? What shitty journalism... all designed to gather clicks.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
So it costs more than an iPad, has a worse screen, and has no apps. I think the RT model is already dead.

Hoping for some good stuff on the i5 model though.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]I'm I the only one who thinks that the new ipad's screen is a gimmick? Not even full HD movies have that res.I mean, yes, higher resolution is always better, but for the screen size it is overkill for me.Come on, just because you can stick a V8 engine in a mini cooper it doesn't mean you should.[/citation]

It's the same price. I would get the better one even if it's overkill.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Let's compare:

Cheapest new iPad: $499US - for 16GB
Doesn't run Office. Doesn't ship with keyboard. Runs software that doesn't run on Mac. Doesn't work with any USB PC peripherals. HDMI Out costs extra. Works with 7 printers.

Cheapest (reported) Surface: $599US - for 32GB
Includes Office. Might ship with keyboard. Runs software that also runs on Windows 8. Works with a lot of USB PC peripherals (any HID-compatible mouse & keyboard, and standard USB storage). Works with many printers using a new class-driven printer driver model.

Yup. The price delta sounds about right to me.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom] Runs software that also runs on Windows 8.[/citation]

Unfortunately the ARM version will only run Metro Apps that have been coded with ARM Compatibility. All Msoft Metro Apps should include that but will other developers do it? Some will and some will not.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]I'm I the only one who thinks that the new ipad's screen is a gimmick? Not even full HD movies have that res.I mean, yes, higher resolution is always better, but for the screen size it is overkill for me.Come on, just because you can stick a V8 engine in a mini cooper it doesn't mean you should.[/citation]

How about text? Does text appear without aliasing? In web pages but specially in PDF document that you zoom in and out to read?

If text appears without aliasing on that kind of resolution than it is not a gimmick, than it is a necessity!

tulak

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I hope they will later just pull plug on it!
No way I will spend such a money!
Give me a brake!Stop with Communist China products selling as for Ferrari price.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
iPad 32GB cost $600. It doesn't even come with a kickstand, HDIM, or a USB 2.0 port.

The Surface includes all of those and you get Office. The Surface is a better productivity tool than the toy called an iPad.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]How about text? Does text appear without aliasing? In web pages but specially in PDF document that you zoom in and out to read?If text appears without aliasing on that kind of resolution than it is not a gimmick, than it is a necessity![/citation]

I guess that's a valid point but, if you are really having troubles viewing text, then maybe you should consider checking your eyes.

Or if you will be reading a lot, maybe a tablet isn't what you really need.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]It's the same price. I would get the better one even if it's overkill.[/citation]

That's a good point. But then there are more factors that would be involved in the decision to buy either an ipad or a surface tab. (included software, accessories, etc)

guanyu210379

Distinguished
No Android and i- tablets can convince me right now.
I want a tablet PC and still did not buy anything until now.
I am still holding on and waiting for the correct products.
I put some hopes on Win8 tablets....let see if MsTablets can convince me :)

Greetings,

Proud owner of S3 (owns S3 with 4 cores, 1GB RAM...wishing to get the 2 Cores+2GB RAM version tho')

Status
Not open for further replies.