Report: New iPhone will be 4G Verizon Device

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I would love a Verizon iPhone 4G. The problem is that Verizon has announced an end to unlimited data plans for 4G Devices. So the cost to operate the device could be too high. I almost wish they would release the iPhone 3GS on Verizon instead.

G

My contract is up in June and I would drop AT&T like a bad habit if I had the option.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Everyone buy the iphone... keep apple on it's power trip, then some other guy will come along, open source of course, and will provide breakthroughs that apple will not allow. Piss the consumer off knowing no matter how wonderful their phone is, they will never get the apps and abilities that apple wont allow. Then the house of apples will come crumbling down (Jobs landing on his big ol pile of money to cushion the fall)

G

My ideal scenario would be the 4g iPhone on the new Sprint 4g network... If that does not happen, I am ditching my iPhone and AT&T for the HTC 4g Evo and Sprint.

G

Verizon does not allow voice and data simultaneously. That is a huge problem since I am almost always tethering (jailbroken 3.1.3). I can talk on the phone without losing my data connection on AT&T. Not possible with Verizon. I have had great coverage from AT&T and considerably less dropped calls compared to my old Sprint/Nextel phone. I plan on getting the 4G and I plan on sticking with AT&T.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Can you intentional misuse established terminology related to your product to mislead people? Calling there device "4G" and making up a new meaning is deceptive.[/citation]

Apple didn't say it is a 4G phone yet. This is the news outlets all calling it 4G which many assume the phone will support. NOTHING is official yet, all rumor and guessing. The thing here is that when anyone talks about the soon-to-be-announced next iPhone everyone calls it the 4G. GO search for "4G" on apple's site and you'll find nothing about the iPhone.

9d3tsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
AT&T works well in my area. I'm not too thrilled with my Verizon experience in the past. My only gripe with AT&T is the price. $110 a month for one phone + data, no overages? Although it's almost worth it not having to deal with Verizon "Billing Errors" anymore.

G

I have been with AT&T ever since the first iPhone was released and I have not had any problems what so ever with them. There service is far greater than Verizon's poor customer service, and being the fact that AT&T has taken on the load and not been crippled by the fact of hosting the iPhone while making major improvements to their network is pretty good. Those thinking that Verizon hosting an iPhone will be outperforming, will be very pissed when the day comes of Verizon/iPhone exclusivity agreement and find that VERIZON Sucks.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think anything's better than ATT right now. Im just tired of getting 2-3 dropped calls a day. But the dreaded contract termination fee is stalking me. Ill have to wait out the year I have left with my blackjack to be able to change. Hopefully the reviews of the new iPhone and hopefully on verizon, are good.

Id wait however till the iphone craze cools down and everyones already reviewed it and theres still some left on shelves to decide, but definitely noe returning to ATT.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I left verizon for the iPhone on AT&T and haven't missed Verizon since. Rollover minutes, superior speeds and a full signal in my office is all I cared about. dropped calls, big deal, just hit redial. I'd rather have the occasional dropped call instead of, i'll call you back i need to use the internet on my phone, i can't do both at the same time. add up the number of dropped calls vs. hanging up to use the data on your phone, see which one is more.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I think it all depends in where you are in the US. In northern Arizona, the best carriers are T-Mobile and Verizon, with Sprint next and AT&T in a distant last place. Yet I know in some parts of texas AT&T is king.

I currently have T-Mobile, and have no need for a smart phone... so my answer is "No". Having said that, if I ever do decide to get a smart phone, my carrier will most likely be Verizon. Will I get an iPhone? Depends on how it matches up to other smart phones out there at the time. But if it was right now, probably not.

G

Yep! I already have a Driod with Verizon, and it works much better than any phone I had with AT&T. In my area, Verizon is better, and I find the same when I travel around the country.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Who cares? With a plethora of superior Android devices already available on Verizon, I find the news of the iPhone POSSIBLY coming to it late this year unimpressive.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Why do you call it a "report" (as if official word from Apple) in the title and then clearly state it's just a rumor right in the opening sentence? I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by Jane's misleading titles by this point.

ovidiusx

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]lspce[/nom]definently not, the only carrier worse than AT&T is Verizon. Verizon's coverage area (atleast in Texas) is WAY worse than AT&T. I travel to remote places in Texas on a monthly basis and my AT&T phone NEVER loses signal. My coworker has Verizon and he is constantly using my phone. This is a horrible idea, please go back to AT&T for iphones.[/citation]

Don't know where you are in Texas but I have had the exact opposite experience with Verizon. My wife's iPhone does not receive 3G service and we are less then 10 miles from downtown Houston. I have 3G service for 90% of my drive to El Paso, and never lose 3G going to Dallas, Amarillo, or Brownsville. If you are going to locations that are that remote maybe a sat phone would better suit you.

During the Hurricane Rita evac no-ones AT&T phone would let them through. I was able to contact our families that we were going to stay with with my verizon phone but the AT&T lines were completly useless until we got our of the area. It's not good when your carrier can't handle its own customer load. AT&T apologized and stated they would expand their capabities so that it didnt happen again. Well, three years later Hurricane Ike tested their promise. Only half of the people evacuated and the lines were still clogged.

That is two very bad marks against AT&T in my book. My wife pays for a service that she can barely use and no network reliability during an emergency. Verizon even had their towers back online the day after the storm. AT&T took neatly two weeks to get back running.

If the iPhone does come to Verizon I will gladly get her one so I dont have to hear the constant bitching about how her AT&T signal is crap. I myself with stick with the Droid. Although the HTC Incredible looks very tempting.

G

Not if it is CDMA, GSM I will and not because of the carrier but because of Iphone

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Apple previously said the iPhone 4G will have a radio that works with GSM, HSPA, and regular 2G CDMA networks. Apple didn't want to lose out on the 10% of people in the world that are still stuck on CDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.