Report: New Nintendo Wii Due in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It is funny that "all of a sudden" Nintendo Wii are now IN STOCK at certain retailers after Microsoft changed the price of their base XBOX360 to $199.00.

I think an investigation in whether Nintendo created a false sense of demand for the product is warranted.

Even though I can get my hands on a normally priced Wii, I now have no desire to (get one).

If they are indeed creating an "HD" version of the system, they should incorporate (attempt to) a Bluray player.

G

Of course they generated buzz by creating an illusion of exclusivity (through limited availability). Pretty standard marketing tactic... there's nothing illegal about it.

I didn't get one not because I couldn't find one, but because after playing it at friends houses I realized that it didn't offer anything of interest to me.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]Of course they generated buzz by creating an illusion of exclusivity (through limited availability). Pretty standard marketing tactic... there's nothing illegal about it. I didn't get one not because I couldn't find one, but because after playing it at friends houses I realized that it didn't offer anything of interest to me. [/citation]

Umm, Dave. That's the point. It's COMPLETELY Illegal. That, and price gouging over msrp.

G

Actually, it would only be illegal if a group of companies banned together to limit supply to drive up price. (Like if all the retailers held back stock so they could seel the product at a higher price.) Any single company can limit supply of its own product to create more demand. This is especially true since there is competition in this market that gives consumers and alternate choice. There would be no way to prosecute Nintendo, because they would only have to argue that they didn't want to overproduce the product and get stuck with all the extra units.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I hope the next Wii adds a buttload of anti-aliasing, because let me tell you, it is NOT worth it to get component cables and play games at 480p.
Even if I did get mine for about $11.

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I have a new PC and a 360 for the big games.

but my Wii is the only one I can put in a Camelbak and bike to my friends house.

if the HDii is able to keep a good price point and incorporate a good upscale and anti aliasing engine then the current games will get a nice upgrade.

I cant wait for a PS3 slim then that will become my system to transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.