Report: PopCap to Be Acquired by EA for $1 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here's another halfway decent company to be ruined by the most idiotic company of them all...Imagine, Bejeweled with SecuROM!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]Looks like even casual gaming will suck now.[/citation]
Not necessarily. I think BF3 is going to be great and though it is not a casual game, on similar lines, we can hope that EA will give Popcap enough freedom in developing their games.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Not necessarily. I think BF3 is going to be great and though it is not a casual game, on similar lines, we can hope that EA will give Popcap enough freedom in developing their games.[/citation]
You were being sarcastic right? If they don't impose than yes PopCap will be a great acquisition, however I think they're more likely to do just that.

G

How is Popcap even worth $1 Billion. Dont they sell their games for $1.99, have they really sold around 500 million copies. Who comes up with these value figures!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]How is Popcap even worth $1 Billion. Dont they sell their games for $1.99, have they really sold around 500 million copies. Who comes up with these value figures![/citation]

I think Plants vs Zombies was $20 and their other games are $9.99 or something. They may have other games in the works that is getting EA's attention. Money bags are all they are after.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
EA would have been better off if they dumped that money into a landfill. Casual gaming is such crap and I think it's as much "wave of the future" as Segways.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kj3639[/nom]EA would have been better off if they dumped that money into a landfill. Casual gaming is such crap and I think it's as much "wave of the future" as Segways.[/citation]

And yet EA wants to give them 1 Billion i mean come on I don't think casual games are the future but The Wii really pushed it off as people casually gaming and we all know the Wii just bombed and they couldn't give them away... wait that's the PS3 with with Wii and games like Plants Vs Zombies and Farmville and others like that are here to stay and if a EA wanted to pay me 1 billion for the right to my company who made those games it would be a great day for me

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
[citation][nom]kj3639[/nom]EA would have been better off if they dumped that money into a landfill. Casual gaming is such crap and I think it's as much "wave of the future" as Segways.[/citation]
Unfortunately, not everyone has the time to play wow 24/7.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
lets look at this realistically.

popcap, basically created the tetris of this generation in bejeweled.
and popcap games are consistently good, or they put out so much that i only notice the good ones, which is possible.

lets assume that EVERY game they sell that is big, goes 1 million in sales (bejeweled probably got to 10 million+) 1 billion is a GREAT investment if you consider the long term and dont expect to recup in a years time. this could at the very least be a step into a market they suck at.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]lets look at this realistically.popcap, basically created the tetris of this generation in bejeweled.and popcap games are consistently good, or they put out so much that i only notice the good ones, which is possible. lets assume that EVERY game they sell that is big, goes 1 million in sales (bejeweled probably got to 10 million+) 1 billion is a GREAT investment if you consider the long term and dont expect to recup in a years time. this could at the very least be a step into a market they suck at.[/citation]

im talking about ea. i hope the other 2 die in fire, as i will never play a facebook game, and asian non gameing companys s#$& up gaming.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]How is Popcap even worth $1 Billion. Dont they sell their games for $1.99, have they really sold around 500 million copies. Who comes up with these value figures![/citation]

The iPhone versions of PVZ alone sold half a million copies in its first 2 weeks on istore, thats $1.5 million in two weeks from one game on one platform, add to that the total money from sales of all the other versions of PVZ and Bejeweled, and their other games and $1 billion seems more than fair.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008

I agree, this company isn't worth that. But if a company run by greedy morans like EA is thinks its worth that, Then I say good for Popcap. Take EA's money and run, After all that's what EA does to all it's customers!

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]And yet EA wants to give them 1 Billion i mean come on I don't think casual games are the future but The Wii really pushed it off as people casually gaming and we all know the Wii just bombed and they couldn't give them away... wait that's the PS3 with with Wii and games like Plants Vs Zombies and Farmville and others like that are here to stay and if a EA wanted to pay me 1 billion for the right to my company who made those games it would be a great day for me[/citation]

Uh, have you seen how popular Android and iPhone/iPod apps are?

Casual gaming is more of what I do now. I don't have the time to sit in front of a computer to play a game for hours. However, if I'm at the doctor's office or some other place where I have to wait, I can pull out my Droid and play a game to pass the time.

Casual gaming is actually very popular.

G

"rohitbaran: Not necessarily. I think BF3 is going to be great and though it is not a casual game, on similar lines, we can hope that EA will give Popcap enough freedom in developing their games."

You think BF3 is going to be great? Under what premesis or context can you have that thought? Appealing graphics and an entertaining trailer do not make a great game. I have played many, many sequals that had similar attributes, I thought, yeah, this game looks like it's gonna be great. I, very often, discover that the game is a total pile of BS and what I was playing wasn't a game, but a half way developed alpha version. (dawn of war 2 is a fine example of this)

Here is some advice. Never assume anything a corporation is doing or is about to do is useful, good, honest, or worth your time and money. Never just jump onto a product without doing a thorough test drive, amount of research and so on. To be more specific towards video games, play the entire game through before buying it. If a corporation cannot handle try it before you buy it, they aren't worth your time. A lot of people have sat where you sit, THIS TRAILER LEWKZ AMAZIN!11 And then buys their piece of garbage game, only to find that after spending a reasonable amount of time with the game, that it's a total piece of crap or at least no where near up to par with what might be expected from 60 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.