Report: Samsung Considering Buying WebOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
DO IT.
I can't be the ONLY person to see that OS has potential, and Samsung has a solid reputation in the smartphone market. But for it to compete with iOS and Android it either HAS to support Android applications or have a very fast-growing market and active developer support.

The only things I can see that killed off WebOS was lack of app developers and HP's lowly reputation for phones.

This is my opinion anyway.

Thumb me up or down all you want, I for one was very interested in WebOS. I know many others were too.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... better sell to apple...[/citation]

For what reason anyone would try and sell it to apple, I can't fathom. There are a lot of companies (besides apple, of course) who want to make more of an impact in the smartphone market, and webOS is one way. Although I can see apple offering to buy it. After all, if they have the rights to webOS, then no one else can use it and potentially compete with them.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I like the WebOS. Like others have said, it has potential for being a heavy hitter on the smartphone market.

Apps are like icing on the cake. Get some good apps going for this OS and you can have a formidable foe to the iphone.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I see the awesomeness that webOS can achieve, and itd be a waste to not use it. Apps can be made if the marketing for webOS was better. But if these rumors are true, where does that leave Bada?

G

samsung should rather by Meego as it can support Android apps too, plus it can take Nokia off guard.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Well the prize money and deals they did with game studios I think helped Bada in terms of number of apps. So they could do something similar for webOS. Does Samsung really need another platform though? Hard to do webOS justice when they are also selling Android, Bada and WP7 devices.

Paul_R

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]rhangman[/nom]Well the prize money and deals they did with game studios I think helped Bada in terms of number of apps. So they could do something similar for webOS. Does Samsung really need another platform though? Hard to do webOS justice when they are also selling Android, Bada and WP7 devices.[/citation]
They might have to stop supporting Android and/or Windows one day, depending on how Google/Motorola and Nokia/Microsoft develop.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I have tried WebOS (not very long), it is not as bad as you thing....in fact I like it... I even thought that HP was taking rash and idiot decision on giving up WebOS.
I tried to get the USD99 Touchpad but I was to late....
If Samsung can kkep it alive or even make it better in the future...I say...Go Samsung!!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
As someone who has a Palm Pre 2 I can tell you that there are much bigger issues then just App support. Stability, performance, and tighter integration between the apps and the OS are huge issues here. I had a rep tell me at one store that there was 100% return rate on the HP phones. The interface is not to bad though and it has great potential but there are some definite improvements that have to be made before it is anywhere close to Android or IOS. Could use a much better UI overlay as well but we know Samsung has no problems with that.

G

someone correct me if im wrong, but bada is not a full blown OS right, it's a layer on top of a kernel, which currently is of a linux flavor, now if i recall WebOS uses a linux kernel at it's core, so surely it would not be a stretch of the imagination to have bada layered on top of a web OS kernel.....

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If Samsung purchased WebOs it would most likely to incorporate into their TV's, set top boxes, and other home electronic devices, not their phones. If it weren't for Android, Samsung would still have some of the best looking non functional phones around just like they did before android. I can see them making an offer on WebOS, but I can't see them replacing android on their phones since they are about to become the #1 cellular phone manufacturer.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If Samsung purchased WebOs it would most likely to incorporate into their TV's, set top boxes, and other home electronic devices, not their phones. If it weren't for Android, Samsung would still have some of the best looking non functional phones around just like they did before android. I can see them making an offer on WebOS, but I can't see them replacing android on their phones since they are about to become the #1 cellular phone manufacturer.[/citation]
this makes alot of sense

G

@dalethepcman

so your telling before android came along Samsung was unable to make a phone that can make calls? i used a variety of phones from Samsung, none of them android and admittedly all were release 2 years ago or further back, they served their purpose and served their purpose well (primarily to make calls) some had some nice apps (pre-smartphone java type affairs). In reality other than GPS and games (of which i need neither) i yet to find something i would utilize that a smart phone can do which these older devices were unable to achieve

im a tech junkie and a geek, but i have yet to migrate over to a smartphone because i can not find anything compelling enough to entice me. You dont need millions of apps, you just need a handful, a handful of really well executed apps which extend the primary functionality of a smartphone, which is to communicate (twitter and facebook are not classified as communication, they are classified as a waste of time, and im sure someone will gladly rectify my stance on this)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Samsung's smartphone's that came out before android had numerous problems, and it's not their stupid phones that have made them a global leader in the cellular arena.

A smartphone primary function for me is that of a pocket sized laptop. Why you would think its to communicate is beyond me. The ability to remote into my PC from my phone, email myself a document, take credit card payments for work I have done without a bulky POS terminal, instantly upload pictures to the web, translate voice to and from hundreds of languages in real time, etc.. are priceless to me. Keep living in your cave, smartphones are only good for making fart sounds.

As to calling yourself a tech junkie and a geek, while not owning a smartphone because of the principle that you don't need a million apps, or Facebook or twitter. This makes you either ignorant, or a liar, which is it?

p.s. you're weak trolling can't hold a candle to these flames.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]DO IT.I can't be the ONLY person to see that OS has potential, and Samsung has a solid reputation in the smartphone market. But for it to compete with iOS and Android it either HAS to support Android applications or have a very fast-growing market and active developer support.The only things I can see that killed off WebOS was lack of app developers and HP's lowly reputation for phones.This is my opinion anyway.Thumb me up or down all you want, I for one was very interested in WebOS. I know many others were too.[/citation]

I like my palm pre plus and the web os. I have a few free games installed but I use it mostly for email. Its pretty snappy, but I will need to upgrade soon or get myself a thicker set of glasses as the ole eyesight sucks on the smaller screen. I'll most like get a samsung phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.