Report: Sony Blocking the PSP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Oh no! I was waiting for that one for ages! Come on, we need an N-Gage worthy competitor!

There is technology to build it! a Windows Mobile (like the Xperia) with hardware acceleration (at least like the N95, at best an nVidia embebed system) and a nice external layout should do the trick!

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I own a PSP and also an Xperia mobile phone.
Cellphones are really ages from being as competent as dedicated handheld gaming devices such as the PSP or DS for that matter.
The Xperia, with all its muscle and style still failes to deliver a gaming experience worth anything close to even a GBA.

I must admit however that the iPhone (which is, by the way in my opinion, a very mediocre cellphone) has come closest to being a cellphone/gaming device. I'm thinking specially about a certain game with the name "Sparta" in the title. Still, it's far from being comparable with a PSP or DS. For example, virtual buttons just don't work for intense gaming, you need some feedback on the thumbs. Imagine playing SF2 on the iPhone.

If Sony had agreed on letting SE do this today, it would only end in disappointment and tons of critism for batterylife, size, weight, heat, etc. Not to mention the price for such hardware.
The Playstation brand has an image of quality gaming products - this decision makes sure that it will stay that way.

I think that in maybe 10 years from now, things will look better, and maybe then we will see a PS phone, with OLED, long batterylife, 15min charging time, low weight and muscles to make it all happen.

But as it is today, I think Sony did the right thing to protect the image of an already troubled brand.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
sony isn't dumb and they are actually learning. if they release this product, the psp is no longer a psp handheld game system as it'll be a handheld phone. that will make the psp compete with the pda/phones [aka smart phones i believe it's what they're called] rather then the handheld gaming sector with nintendo's ds system. what this suggests, if it went through, is that nintendo would be the only handheld gaming company and no one is there to compete with them.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
agree with zoonie,
before someone uses your brand, the other party should be able to handle it properly.
maybe sony ericson's designs and plans are not up to quality.

G

Is this like when Coke sued Coke Zero for Taste Infringement?

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Good, I couldn't stand the idea of a PSP phone. Look at what happened to the N-gage. It was a mediocre phone and gaming device. Adding mobile phone functionality to a gaming device does not make sense. I don't want to carry around that bulky thing just so I can make a phone call.

Not only would that but Sony have to up it's warranty availability/claims, it would also get drawn into insurance agreements. They would for sure lose money on this one. If they want to go a route like that it should start from scratch and take cue's from it's current successful offerings.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]Look at what happened to the N-gage. It was a mediocre phone and gaming device. Adding mobile phone functionality to a gaming device does not make sense.[/citation]

I believe they would make it like the current n-Gage system on Nokia phones. I've seen it on my friend's N95, and it is just impressive, near PS-One quality. The original one is bad, the system is very good.

The PSP brand would probably be applied to an N95-like phone, with gaming layout, so performance "could" be good. But they're better than me to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.