Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Nokia: Symbian is the future.

Symbian: We're broke, goodbye.

Nokia: Sh*t.

I guess that's why they're working on MeeGo or whatever that is.

MAGPC

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
No change = No sales = No funding
Nokia can you understand that if MeeGo was a failure, you will have the same fate of Symbian?.
Bye Bye symbian, I will not surely miss you.
(A Symbian non-touch phone owner)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That's a shame, I liked Symbian. It's stable, slim and fast after all.[/citation]I have similar feelings about DOS and Windows 95 OSR2. But I'm afraid you won't catch me using actual DOS or Win95B on a regular basis. Maybe somebody will make a Symbian/phone emulator for Android or Phone 7, similar to dosbox. For those nostalgic moments. :D

G

Ha ha Android will soon die if google looses all the lawsuits filed against it.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
i hope nokia doesnt end up doing android. The last thing the market needs is another clone. Besides i would be happy with another alternative to a google OS.it can only make things better..

G

YES YES YES RIP!

The "fragmentation" of Symbian is NOTHING compared to the segmentation of Symbian...

I think it was almost impossible to write an app that was compatible with the different version, in particular to make it FORWARD compatible!
S60, S90, UIQ 2.0, UIQ 2.1 etc etc the list goes long of this bs...

I had a P800, P910 and then a P990 and had to re-acquire apps at every uppgrade, Symbian never had a clue about what smartphones are about!

Good riddance!

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It's sad but it's still a fact. All that Nokia needs to do now is develop a new OS for it's handsets that run Symbian :) Unless they want to loose whatever little is left of their dwindling market share.
But it'll be a relief to see my E65, E72, E71 & E63 get a new OS.
I can't deny it that I have been looking into ways of getting Android onto any of these handsets to try it out , but since I couldn't find a way, I had to look at the LG Optimus..... and that's sad, 'Cos I'm pretty much brand loyal when it comes to the Durability and easiness of Nokia Handsets....

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I would not say that Symbian sucks, actually I think it was superb for its time, holding a solid position in the market for nearly a decade, but it is also undeniable that the developers of the system were too lazy to make any significant updates, and while others were launching laser guided missiles, Symbian was investing into catapults!

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
It makes me sad to see Symbian become what it is now. I still use an s60 handset with carbide and it does enough to make me happy. (not much of a touch screen or net 2.0 type yet) I know the source is EPL licensed, so maybe people will have a chance to alter it since it works so well on ARM. Maybe when they close they`ll release the codebase for the x86 port, just for fun.

G

This article is incorrect, based purely on speculation and is now out of date and in dire need of an update correcting it's inaccuracies.

Nokia have now officially come out and stated full support for keeping Symbian Foundation as an open source operation. Search for the Niklas Savander interview on CNET Asia.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Oh Symbian... I thought the article was about that mechanical-bull-like sex contraption. I was surprised it even had a foundation. But, then again, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.