Report: There's Danger in Texting While Walking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Whoa.... wait, wait, wait, wait... just wait, you mean not watching where you're going is dangerous? Dangit, dad was right. Good thing we have these studies to tell us these things.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
When I read the title of this all I could think of was that girl that walked into an open manhole while texting last summer...lol..pure gold...

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Lolz. Love the replies here, I think they've said everything that could be said.

I think though when you're texting right though, you don't really need to look at the screen that much - only when you're about to send it.

Obviously it's a long text message, that makes it a bit more difficult.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Now I'm wondering who was the true inventor of the cell phone. Darwin could've invented the cell phone to help his process along.
I really don't get why people need to pay full attention to their phone when they text. Look up every once in a while(especially while crossing streets)and maybe running into a pole/car won't happen...

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If you put your full attention into texting that yes....however some of us are smarter than that. I know for a fact I can't text and focus on driving, so I don't text and drive. However, I can text without looking, something that bewilders my classmates as I text and watch the teacher seamlessly. I do the same while walking...low and behold I rarely miss a step. Flip flops have "attacked" me more than texting and walking.

oeuf

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I saw this dude walk through dog sh*t and not even flinch. Even with 3 bystanders saying "ewwwww" at that very moment.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I am currently attending a university. I see students all the time texting and not looking when using cross walks or jaywalking to make sure its clear. I have watched quite a few times of people almost being hit.
The best part is when the oblivious texter doesnt even look up or throws a dirty look.

G

I guess people take simple things like walking for granted.

But it's good to know that texting technology is advancing with features like "Google Actions" where you can dictate your text message.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I think that almost every other reply on here has summed things up well. Are we supposed to be shocked at these findings? or feel bad for these peoples lack of self preservation? NO!

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Anyone else thinking that the attention paid to avoiding coloured paths may not be quite as high as when we're on a public footpath near moving vehicles?

I'm not an expert on the matter by any means, just sounds like the methodology used to test might not be true to real-world conditions.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
They should conduct the same test with people who talk on the phone and compare it to those who text. It's sad that people rely so much on texting, when 5 times the amount of information can be crossed in a tenth of the time.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]Actually I imagine the visually impaired are less likely than these fools.[/citation]
Yeah at least they have a walking stick. But rest assure, there will be "an app for that," some sort of sensor that tells you you're veering off or going to hit something.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
My concern is that some (let's assume here) well-meaning politician will get wind of this and try to pass laws prohibiting texting while walking (just as they already have on texting while driving). The technology isn't the problem. The issue is "distracted navigation," not the specific source of the distraction. I've seen folks driving and walking while reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, eating, holding fervent conversations, trying to manage kids, and yes, texting; all of these things are distracting and limit your ability to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.