Report: Violent Gaming is Good For the Brain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
Marcus Brigstocke

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]will99[/nom]If we allow elderly to play games, we might have a transition from modern warfare to call of duty 2. Out of stuborness they ll keep telling us the old ways are better...And it keeps me wondering how the tide of the elderly will effect the war between activision - Respawn..[/citation]

Actually CoD4 > CoD2 > CoD6

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
It might train your reflexes, but it also trains you to be more tolerant towards violence. What you do with that is your choice, but last thing I would want is a smarter criminal. (I know, it's a gross oversimplification, but still.)

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have a problem with the statement ...

"Who cares about the gore, profanity, and a lack of consequences for committing violent acts--the cognitive skills are more important, helping young gamers land fast-paced jobs."

It pretty much makes it sound like all games are violent and fit in this category. There are numerous games that are non-violent and popular that will most likely give the same benefit. Let the kids play the toned down stuff, and us grownups can choose to play the violent stuff :) It's up to parents to filter.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]It might train your reflexes, but it also trains you to be more tolerant towards violence. What you do with that is your choice, but last thing I would want is a smarter criminal. (I know, it's a gross oversimplification, but still.)[/citation]

We are better at killing people then previous generations. So if we have a major war, we are all set to pwn the enemy. Remember the ridiculously high percentages of soldiers who were shooting high back in Vietnam. I know for sure that I wouldn't be shooting high. We are competitive when it comes to killing people and the military loves that.

Games are also a big advantages when it comes to battlefield UIs like active maps or shooting through a monitor.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Regardless, it's doing a whole lot more than laying on the couch and watching baseball for hours...or in the case of a nursing home...daytime television.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Now I just have to convice my boss to let me take some 'training days' at home playing video games. Or even better, start charging my company overtime for all of those evenings and weekends I'm puting in.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
[citation][nom]will99[/nom]If we allow elderly to play games, we might have a transition from modern warfare to call of duty 2. Out of stuborness they ll keep telling us the old ways are better...And it keeps me wondering how the tide of the elderly will effect the war between activision - Respawn..[/citation]
We should have that transition anyways; COD2 was the best in the series.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tallguy1618[/nom]We should have that transition anyways; COD2 was the best in the series.[/citation]

I would have to agree. I play COD4 the most, since it has some features / gameplay / graphics that are better than COD2, but I played a lot of COD2 back in the day. My only gripe with it was the near perfect hip-fire accuracy of the KAR98 (which was a 1 hit kill with crazy range), which everybody who was any good used way too often.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]ElCdt[/nom]Yep, games are giving birth to a whole generation of little Einsteins. Just look at WoW, it´s riddled with rocket scientists! Oh wait...[/citation]

Wow = third person MMORPG the blood/gore is nothing near something like Quake 3 or Doom 4. MMO's you do nothing save for telling character what to do, FPS you do the aiming and whatnot and allows deeper immersion into it. You think for shit in WOW, in any FPS you have to think about what your next move is going to be (Save for Modern Shitfare 2)

Also, I think the nurses wouldn't be happy at the massive amounts of toiletries being used for the loss of bowl control during scary moments or jaw droppingly epic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.