Republic of Gamers laptop shutting and restarting

Sep 18, 2018
My brand new Republic of Gamers, 8th generation, with 16 gigs of memory is going into the "blue screen"-your PC ran into problems and had to shut down mode - then the LAPTOP restarts. This happens once of twice every hour or so. It's so quick you have to stare at it to try and capture it on video...which I haven't been able to so I can't even go back to the store yet. But this has been happening since day one - for about 2 months now. It's not the mouse. I tried without it and with different mouse products. It also runs only 3 hours on battery when the specs claim it should go 11 hours on battery. Any similar experiences with this laptop out there - before I manage to make a video of the 'blue-screen-failure' and go back to the store? Appreciated.

Solution
Well first do the following to stop your laptop from restarting on BSOD.

Open the Run dialog in your guest operating system. Type the following in the Run box: SystemPropertiesAdvanced.
In Advanced System Properties, go to the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. Ensure that you have the automatic memory dump enabled under the Write Debugging Information section.

2nd Backup any files you think you may need before returning the laptop and yes I would expect to that they will wipe/install windows so you will have to have your IT contractor come back and reload your business software if you can't your self. How much is it costing your business for you not be able to work and sooner or later those BSOD would cause you...

volkgren

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
Not sure I would believe a gaming laptop to run for 11 hours on battery. Batter life is an issue on most laptops, especially gaming laptops. I remember back when I thought gaming laptops were a good idea and asked for an Alienware with SLI for my graduation gift. It lasted about 1 hour on battery. But, that was over 10 years ago and components have come a long way as far as power consumption. I suppose 3 hours is what I would expect. 11 hours is more for the super low-power components which don't usually come in gaming laptops.

For your restarts, have you checked temps?

You say you've only had it for 2 months? I would have taken it back to the store the first or second time it blue-screened. No need for the video unless the store has very poor customer service. There are logs of the blue screen errors. https://techverse.net/view-blue-screen-of-death-error-logs-minidump-windows/

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Yes I would bring it back right away also 11 hour battery life I'm is only when doing basic office work (i.e no gaming) and probably with the screen at 50% brightness etc. I have never heard of any laptop going for any good length of time while gaming.

Sep 18, 2018
The laptop happens to be my business computer and I had just finished having our tech (on contract so any extra work will be a new invoice) set it up with all the downloadable software that it had (think accounting files and packages that had to be requisitioned from the sources all over again) and I've heard horrible things about microsoft stores from people who brought back their business laptops - basically I can't lose any files that are on it or I'd lose clients. It's the only thing that's kept me from storming back to the store - guess I will have to; I'm just really worried about losing all those files and software that had to be loaded on to it all over again - I could live with 3 hours of running on battery - I'll schedule my client appointments with that in mind - but the 'blue-screen' is really worrisome. And no, our tech won't touch the laptop while it's under full warranty - that's another issue...thank you for all your help; your answer cleared quite a few of my questions

Sep 18, 2018
Also, the blue screen log doesn't exist because the blue screen is so quick it never gets a chance to collect anything - it's just one second on, off and then re-start. I've downloaded the Nir blue screen log viewer - and it shows absolutely NO logs of blue screen whatsoever. And yet every time I start the laptop and stay on it for 3 hours or more, I will run into the blue-screen problem on average about 5 times. It's why I was advised to try and capture the blue screen on video - and yeah, microsoft store has customer service staff that do NOT believe customers when these come in with issues - just part of life as is

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Well first do the following to stop your laptop from restarting on BSOD.

Open the Run dialog in your guest operating system. Type the following in the Run box: SystemPropertiesAdvanced.
In Advanced System Properties, go to the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. Ensure that you have the automatic memory dump enabled under the Write Debugging Information section.

2nd Backup any files you think you may need before returning the laptop and yes I would expect to that they will wipe/install windows so you will have to have your IT contractor come back and reload your business software if you can't your self. How much is it costing your business for you not be able to work and sooner or later those BSOD would cause you to lose progress unless your constantly saving your work every few minutes.

Solution