Republicans Move To Block Net Neutrality Rules

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I do not live in the USA,but I can see a little of both sides point of view...Where I live,you either pay for less downloads & receive not enough GB's in downloads or in the higher GB's downloads their are two speeds with about $10-00 cents AUD the difference...There are offpeak speed difference I notice,but I pay for 24 GB download which I never use up anyway,but 2 GB download is only about $30- AUD cheaper & use that up real fast...Nothing in between...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Republicans = Attack the right to organize unions[/citation]
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that mandatory union membership and abuse of union bargaining was the same as the "right to organize". I don't think most of you have really see how some of these big unions operate, what they do, and who it really benefits. They're dirty, legal Mafia dirty. They get protection money, but its all nice and legal, see?

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I see what you did there...you used examples of Unions in highly corrupt 60's-70's-80's (and probably into the 90's) and compared them to Unions now that have taken severe benefit and pay cuts to help keep their associated companies in business (plenty of examples in the auto and even in Wisconsin). Unions seriously needed to clean up...and for the most part you rarely ever see allegations of corruption in Unions...certainly no more than you see corruption in what seem like legit businesses (*cough*Enron*cough*nearlytheentirebankingmarket*cough*).

I don't have problems with Unions if their willing to share the pain and back off when times are obviously tough. In Wisconsin, they agreed to pretty substantial cuts and all they wanted to hold on to was their ability to bargain when times are better. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

It's obvious the Republicans just want to bust unions and that this isn't about balancing the budget. Republicans (and parties politically aligned with big business during history) have wanted to destroy unions even back when they were necessary...so this is nothing new. They're just feeling empowered right now. Good luck getting your job back in the next election, Mr. Walker.

reasonabledoctor

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
All of us do not have enough fingers to point at all the reasons we Americans are experiencing all the economic issues we have.

Net neutrality is a good thing. We need it. In a perfect world, I would want no government intervention, but that is not where we live. If we allow the ISP's to control the internet, we stifle new business and creativity. This happens because a company with a great new idea will be limited in reaching its customers by the ISP that will not profit by the emergence of this new business.

We are in a new high competitive world market. If we do not take new ideas and run with them, our competition (other countries will). This will put us in a huge disadvantage with our competition. This is why Clinton (pro labor) pushed NAFTA. He saw that if we did not open up the labor market, it would put us at a huge competitive advantage.

When running the government, our leaders need to look at the big picture and being willing to make the tough decisions that could get them fired by their constituents. They should do this because it is right, not because they are married to their philosophical political views.

And we as voters should expect nothing less and hold them accountable.

p.s. there is no such thing as a slippery slope. It is a fallacy. An emotional arguement made when a person has no more facts.

Net nuetrality laws do not give the ftc any more power to control content on the internet. That is inaccurate. The only power it gives is to punish ISP's that do not allow freedom over the internet.

I find it ironic that people are against the government infringing on freedom, but seemingly okay with corporations infringing on those same freedoms.

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
It's because they've been convinced (lied to) that Net Neutrality is the new Fairness Doctrine...in no small part by Glen Beck.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/net-neutrality-john-mccain-says-no-glenn-beck-sees-a-marxist-p/19206288/

Status
Not open for further replies.