Research Finds Link Between Games and Brain Pleasure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Drutski

Excellent contribution, I just want say gamers "don't have" the bigger the neurological structure for the reward mechanism but instead they "presumably" develop the bigger structure with the "prolonged" gaming activity. The bigger structure in the brain is a result or the plasticity of the brain, like a muscle.

WyomingKnott
"Or, in shorter words, "People enjoy playing games."

That is not it. We all enjoy our recreational activities and that is already a known fact and not in question.

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]50hours/week = unemployed21hours/week is hardcore enough, thats 3 hours EVERYDAY of the week and you still have to sleep, work and take care of the house.[/citation]
hardcore gamers don't sleep, sometimes they do work, and they don't take care of the house... I know i was one before...

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]uruquiora[/nom]hardcore gamers don't sleep, sometimes they do work, and they don't take care of the house... I know i was one before...[/citation]

I played years of CS/CSS league and I never found a way to get the house to clean itself? I even tried to train the cat but to no avail. Damn animal doesnt want to work for its food it seems.

Im still colonel 2 in BF3 with my meagre 20-30 hours/w.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I think that the moment you have a chat-box facility in a game, it risks going from very pleasurable to very nauseous. The focus of interests drifts away from co-operate gaming and light banter, to fierce and often threatening e-wars. Not saying this is true of all such games, but I think there is a lot to be said for having a game with minimal chat-box interaction (such as Left 4 Dead 2 where you don't really have the time to keep chatting). When I played Grand Theft Auto online many people used to spam the chat box and argue incessantly, to the point where it no longer became a pleasurable experience.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
"The researchers say the study doesn't determine whether the larger pleasure centers are a result of frequent gaming or a cause of frequent gaming."

Maybe neither.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, or measurement errors. 154 is not a large statistical sample, and many teenagers will lie when asked how much time they spend playing (and how much time they spend doing homework).

Or maybe it's a correlation. People with bigger brains may get two separate and independent consequences from this:
1) larger pleasure centers in the brain
2) better results in games, which in turn can lead to spending more time in games

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]chesterman[/nom]"The researchers then conducted MRI scans on all of the test subjects and found that..."This is SOOO Aperture Science! lol[/citation]

I just went back and re-read the article as if GLaDOS had written it. It totally fits. Just throw in some "so in conclusion, Portal 2 gamers are capable of 125% more fun." stuff at the end and you've got an ad.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
no offense to toms in anyway here but file this under DUHHH. If gaming (even when it pisses you off) didnt make you feel good people wouldnt do it.

When I played through mass effect 1 and started 2 and saw the dog tags and "flashbacks" in the wreckage mission I nearly cried. A good story can suck you in and actually make you care about the characters. Plus there's always the positive emotive response you get when you bring down the big boss that was really tough and you had such a hard time getting past that when you do its not only a rush but a release as well. youve conquered the foe and you are the champion and the game lauds you for your success. Now if only we could get our bosses to act like that in real life when we file those TPS reports. yes I got the memo... no I dont need another copy of it Ive got it right here I just forgot about the new cover sheets. See that doesnt happen in games... they tell us to go defeat the dragon and they'll give us money. They dont care HOW we defeat it just that it dies. If only real life were so straight forward and uncomplicated we would all be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.