Researchers Prove Violent Video Games Change Your Brain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]exactly. it showed playing 10hrs a day of video games changed the brain..not necessarily it being violent.[/citation]
Doing anything for 10 hours change the brain activity, and that's what they actually found. Counting beans would most likely show even more pronounced difference.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Meh, I only play FPS and all the new ones take like 5 hours to clock, so I'm fine then.

Although IMHO its a load of shit any way, I completely agree with 11796pcs

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Inconclusive much?

The brain changes!?!

IMO violent games will make you less passive.

This, the prop machine does not want.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
They delivered the 1000000th piece of evidence that doing the same thing for 10hrs a day, 7 days straight will have an effect on the brain. What a joke, lol.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
In addition to the many flaws already pointed out, here's one more: is the group of people who are available to play a game for 10 hours / day for seven days truly representative of the general population?

G

The guys name being Yang Wang immediately removes all credibility

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Chances are, the mental midgets in California will be using this completely baseless, falsely represented, sorry excuse for a "study" to push for bans on violent video games. It's impossible to "prove" anything with a sample size of less than .00000001% of the world population. If they can't get a sample size of at least 10000 people, covering various activities, their "research" is nothing but a pathetic attempt at getting published (which of course Toms jumps on since little is going on in the tech world)... University of Washinton has already proven that gaming can have a positive effect on people AND society, without trying to commit to a full blown study or using clearly bias "results".

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]10 hours a day isn't even healthy. I would say doing ANYTHING for ten hours would cause you to lose focus and decrease ability to control cognitive flexibility and attention. Stick them in school for 10 hours listening to someone lecture and I'm sure the exact same results would appear. Also it says on the game packaging to take a break every hour for 15 minutes. In school, when you change classes, you have about a five minute break also. I mean who actually does something for ten hours without stopping? That's like watching the movie "Titanic" (which is 3 hours and 14 minutes long) three times in a row. Obviously they're going to lose the ability to pay attention. And for 7 days in a row? This is one of those studies that they say on TV whichout very much info and when you actually look the study up it's a load of crap.[/citation]
I'd venture to say that 10hrs of Titanic would be more mentally/emotionally damaging than 10hrs of say, COD.... At least playing CoD, you can take out your frustration on virtual "enemies", which would at least be a stress reliever. Of course, Yang Wang should probably look into the research done by the University of Washington...
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/science-research-foldit-crowd-sourcing-gamers,news-13111.html

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
What kind of study would make people play video games 10 hours a day, and think that's relevant statistics?
If I did anything repetitive for 10 hours a day, that would change brain activity.

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I thought they already showed that playing moderate amounts of video games stimulated and was good for your brain. Scientists seem to change their minds every other week.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I'm sure that drinking tea 10 hours a day for 2 weeks would also change your brain. This experiment doesn't prove anything worth debating.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hypothesis: Playing violent video games increases the national rate of video game research, but reduces the media's ability to accurately report on it.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The second or "control" group should have played a game like tetris or some other type of game thats non violent but still a game.

Plus your sample size... out of the entire gamer nation mind you... is under 30 people and all of them are under 30 themselves. Ive been playing all types of games since I was about 8 or 9 and I know gamers in their 50's... so Im pretty sure they could have found a wider range of people and maybe more people in total to test. maybe make 2 groups out of 3 different age groups.

Then you have the test. It doesnt test images it tests the color of words. That's not a valid test of whether or not the violence affected their brains. Show them images and see if their brain responds more favorably to them when they are of violence after playing. Otherwise youre testing whether or not that person can recognize colored words... which video games can enhance through better eye hand coordination btw.

Lastly if the "effects" return to normal after a week of non play the study should have been extended to see if after say 4 weeks of play does the brain return after a week? 2? 4? do you need the same amount of time to come down as you had playing? What would be the effects on the brain of 1 hour a day? 2? 4? Does the brain need the same or less time to come down with less play per day? You cant just grab a few of your buddies and give them laptops (probably with federal grant money) and tell them to go crazy playing games for a week and then throw them in the school's FMRI and claim the games changed their brain and call it a day. That's not scientific!

foxmulder_ms

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Wow... In science first thing you learn is how to perform CONTROLLED experiments. The control group has to play games to if you want to talk about violent games... They should give back their degrees.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Wait a minute. I didn't get anything from reading the article.

There was an experiment. A description of a part of a test after the experiment. And then a conclusion that the sky was blue. Dougie, you trying to pull one over us? Where's the rest of the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.