Researchers Prove Violent Video Games Change Your Brain

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
"This just in - new experiences CHANGE you!" - Scientists

It sure would be sweet to see some scientists and experts using science one of these days. And perhaps a little common sense, as well! Books, movies, real life... All these experiences change us. It's called growth. It's just life.

And I believe that violence belongs in video games. Running With Scissors!

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
For sense of humor, the resulted picture told me that "The gamer group just get used to violent (his brain don't bother.)"

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jemm[/nom]It is understood that 14 of them played violent games, but what the other 14 guys were doing?[/citation]

p0rn? XD

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
A lot of fear in the comments. This is a preliminary study but anyone involved in long hours playing violent video games should be interested in knowing the impact of that activity. The results are not convincing yet but pay attention.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]A lot of fear in the comments. This is a preliminary study but anyone involved in long hours playing violent video games should be interested in knowing the impact of that activity. The results are not convincing yet but pay attention.[/citation]

Or learn to think for yourself, Sally. Violent gaming is no different than the constant violence of human life every single day, except get this: nobody gets hurt.

It's not a study at all. They're not using science, the scientific method, or posting up any actual data for peer review. This is just a report saying that "people who experience stuff have brain activity, and people who don't experience the same stuff have different brain activity."

Take Psych 101 at least before you come in here with that BS agenda, Jecastez. There's no fear here. You're the one that should be afraid of the millions of better-trained soldier minds emerging from today's shooter games. Go coddle yourself.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I consider myself an avid gamer, but wow...10 hours per day? I'm pretty sure my brain would start melting after 10 hours of ANY video game per day.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
researchers would be the first to point out that this isnt a valid test

the subject base is too small and the duration of the test too short to prove anything for or against them

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
This is just another perfect example of how researchers can make data show what ever they are wanting to prove. I swear, science has become less and less about real science and more and more about coming up with some waked idea and proving it. We already have other 'scientific' studies that show the opposite. I remember one that said games stimulated learning portions of the brain, no matter what the game was; and others that even said you'd live longer if you played... At this point, I think it's safe to say all of these wack-jobs are, just that.

It's almost as bad (heck, probably even worse) then our clueless medical science... "We have no idea what is wrong with you so we're going to run $100k of tests that your insurance wont pay for, then tell you that you have MS which we can't prove, and then tell you there is not a damn thing you can do about it and you probably only have a few years to live..."

Unfortunately; the above is a true story. And I still don't believe it... (and really feel I shouldn't have to pay for it)... but that's another discussion...

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]rhasa[/nom]reduced activity in those areas could also mean those areas became adept at resolving said functions and perform tasks with ease compared with the control groupin layman's term (mine, too), they GREW in their abilitiesand everyone who played video games knows (including my 70 yo father) that hand-eye coordination is only one of those abilitiesso yes, it changes the brain. for the better[/citation]
This is pretty true. Decreased activity could mean that they are more easily able to perform the same task.

Because I know next to nothing about the human brain, I googled the main functions of these areas and found this to be their roles:
anterior cingulate cortex - error detection and conflict monitoring. ie: identifying the color of the ink on a card when the word is different than it (the word red written on a blue card)
left inferior frontal lobe (assuming this is the same as the left inferior frontal gyrus) - language production and verb comprehension

Playing video games can easily improve your ability to solve the tests with less brain function, as your brain is more easily able to recognize the problem and find the solution. I dont know why it has an effect on the left inferior frontal lobe though.

The test is rubbish anyway though. You have a control and a violent video game group, but no other groups at all. They should test doing normal video games for 10 hours a day every day and something like... solving puzzles 10 hours a day every day. Also, a larger sample size would be nice.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
If your logging 70 hours a week of a shooter then there are probably more serious problems to be concerned with, i.e. a social life, videogame addiction?, maybe a job

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
This is what passes as science at the Indiana University School of Medicine?

There must be an ulterior motive when the source article states "The research is supported by the Center for Successful Parenting."

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I don't need a college to tell me that violent games will affect you long term, anything you do for 10 hours a day will affect you long term, try knitting quilts for 10 hours a day and see if the left side of your brain isn't mush!

THEY CALL IT BRAINWASHING!

Seriously 10hrs a day? I think on average any FPS is played 6hrs a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.