Researchers Prove Violent Video Games Change Your Brain

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Two wangs are better than one.[/citation]
That's what SHE said!

Also I had another thought about this study... hence the second comment. Our history is full of REAL violence. Now we shun real violence and aggression as a society so people replace it with virtual death. which would you rather have?

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Have they tested other games or software that require visual-motor reflex for 10hrs/day. They'd probably have the same results.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Of course it changes the brain. Everything changes the brain - pictures you see, books you read, TV you watch, language you speak, where you are and to where you go... The real question is HOW it changes the brain and what part of it. Speed of response? Cognitive capabilities? Or makes you more violent /really?/? Of course it improves your cognition and automatizes your reaction. Every kind of training does that. It is supposed to do /exactly/ that.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Major flaw in that conclusion! How can they say there is "long term effects" when after a week of not playing the brains of the gamers had almost returned to the state of the non gamer brains?! Idiots! Clearly it's a "short term" effect. Combine that with a complete and utter lack of behavioural and social research done in tandem with it makes this study as relevant as ducks nuts to any rational human being... Oh and get real most gamers don't play for more than an hour or 2 a day... so how about basing it on real people not extreme examples...

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Not only does everything impact your brain (especially after 10 hours daily for that many days straight!), but I really couldn't tell any difference under the highlighted portions

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
i played habbo hotel & TTD 8 hrs a day for a week last xmas. weather was awful & no customers, so just played that at work every day. guess what i though about the entire next week while on xmas holiday? stupid habbo & trains! lol. it's not the violence that's screwing people's brains up, it's being forced to play that one specific game every day for hours. tho i'm sure it'll be scapegoated into an excuse to ban violent games.

lanmers

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Alcatel's the kind of phone even you dead grandmother would cuss you for.
g.php

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
WOW!! 10 hours a day would gimme no head.....by the end of the month. Real dumbass experiment, what are they trying to say, Farmville is better than MW?
No wonder they end up wasting such a lot of time and money at the R&D facilities , cos they keep ending up with no good results of stupid things like this.

Maybe Yang needs a new Wang......

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
[citation][nom]koolkat574[/nom]I used to play video games for 10 hours a day...until I took an arrow in the knee[/citation]
Skyrim reference? I think so.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
As others have noted I think also that this is a dumb waste of money that should of been put together in a more realistic way.
Who the hell would sit there and play COD or some other shooter for ten hours straight at a time and for days after days as well.
Not a good experiment.poorly laid out and executed.most people would sit down for no more than an hour or two.We all have a life and other things to do and see !!!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Daltron2000[/nom]Wow what a dumb experiment. It couldn't just be playing video games that changes brain functioning, it has to be VIOLENT video games. Get your life together and do some real science.[/citation]
Thank you for showing how quickly you become very angry. You prove the premise of the article perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.