Researchers Prove Violent Video Games Change Your Brain

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I know this has already been mentioned in the comments, but have one group play violent games and the other not play any games does NOT show anything about violent games compared to non-violent games. Try having 3 groups next time (i.e. another that plays non-violent games) and provide a more long term study.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I know this has already been mentioned in the comments, but have one group play violent games and the other not play any games does NOT show anything about violent games compared to non-violent games. Try having 3 groups next time (i.e. another that plays non-violent games) and provide a more long term study.[/citation]

This shows how you are clueless about research. If you think that this proves they easily get angry, where is your research about why you think they are getting angry? Where do you show the reason, according to your research, that THE REASON for their supposed reason is the same reason as covered in this article. How do you know that a reasonable person would strongly object, as this person is, to extremely flawed "research" being positioned as legitimate science as this article is doing? I think any reasonable person would strongly object to propaganda being presented as legitimate science, which this article is doing, and you are not reasonable to not find this story objectionable. Probably you have been playing too many Barbie games and this shows that Barbie games lulls someone like you into a sense of complacency. That can't be ruled out.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Thank you for showing how quickly you become very angry. You prove the premise of the article perfectly.[/citation]

My comment above meant to respond to the comment above, not gm0n3y

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Redraider89[/nom]My comment above meant to respond to the comment above, not gm0n3y[/citation]
My comment was meant to reply to your first comment. Again, Thank you for showing how quickly you become very angry. You prove the premise of the article perfectly. Your second comment uses insulting terms in the first sentence and all-caps by the third line. I, and all others I'm sure, did not read it

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This has probably been said already, but guess who was funding this.
An anti-gaming group called "Center for succesful parenting". Strange name since it is only about how bad videogames are for kids.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/11/research-violent-video-games-may-alter-brain-function/1"

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
If the truth is insulting to you (watch out, you may be showing some anger), at least it shows you will be offended by something. But faulty science and propaganda from the media doesn't bother you and is not insulting to you. It may not be Barbie games that is making you complacent, but it is something to not find any problems with this article.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]My comment was meant to reply to your first comment. Again, Thank you for showing how quickly you become very angry. You prove the premise of the article perfectly. Your second comment uses insulting terms in the first sentence and all-caps by the third line. I, and all others I'm sure, did not read it[/citation]

If the truth is insulting to you (watch out, you may be showing some anger), at least it shows you will be offended by something. But faulty science and propaganda from the media doesn't bother you and is not insulting to you. It may not be Barbie games that is making you complacent, but it is something to not find any problems with this article.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Redraider89[/nom]If the truth is insulting to you (watch out, you may be showing some anger), at least it shows you will be offended by something. But faulty science and propaganda from the media doesn't bother you and is not insulting to you. It may not be Barbie games that is making you complacent, but it is something to not find any problems with this article.[/citation]
Well spoken. The flip side here is that who would not think that violent, immersive video games do not tend to make a person more more violent, at least in their interactive personality (no one is saying they would take up a gun and start hunting down Nazi zombies). Anyone who tries to interact with a kid who has just played 5 hours of COD can see that. I'm sure the 'study' is pretty uncontrolled, under represented and inconclusive, but then again, the researchers probably couldn't afford to do thousands of brain scans, etc., and fully well knew it. It is the sensationalist article that drew the conclusions and headlined it as such.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
the researchers probably couldn't afford to do thousands of brain scans, etc., and fully well knew it.

If they can't afford to do a thorough study, they shouldn't do any study, much less do a faulty, and quite likely biased, study and then, adding insult to injury, call a press conference or send a fax out to news outlets acting like it is a legitimate study. My main point is that there are things to be angry about regardless of whether a person is playing violent video games, or peaceful ones. I believe this article warrants that in and of itself, independent of anything else.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Redraider89[/nom]If they can't afford to do a thorough study, they shouldn't do any study, much less do a faulty, and quite likely biased, study and then, adding insult to injury, call a press conference or send a fax out to news outlets acting like it is a legitimate study. My main point is that there are things to be angry about regardless of whether a person is playing violent video games, or peaceful ones. I believe this article warrants that in and of itself, independent of anything else.[/citation]
So now, in your anger over seeing a possible conclusion you do not like, you feel it is up to you to decide what other people should study (or not). Rage on. Or better yet, just go kill some zombies. Let's not all live in a dream world where we think that continuous, immersive, intense violent experiences have no effect on us. There was a measured effect. If you don't want to know about it, don't read the article.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
The experiment seems misleading in my opinion. There was a small sample size and the game was only stated as a "shooting video game". What type of rating did this "shootin video game" have? How would it compare with other types of video games? More information needed!
(Will read the comments later.)

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I missed pages 2-4 where others mentioned the same thing.

After thinking about it a little while, if a researcher wanted to see if video game playing could effect brain changes, it seems that violence in a game might provoke the greatest response. (Think fight or flight.) It would also be helpful to the research if the chosen game were engaging rather than boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.