Researchers Send Email Via Neutrinos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Some of you people think too much.
mute?
I intended it.

Some of you people also think too slow.
"the collectors are too large"
"it would be impossible on mobile devices"

What has happened to almost all electronic technology?
It gets smaller... faster... cheaper... cascades into new technology... gets used beyond it's original purpose... becomes something entirely different...

And it's only getting faster...

Try to keep up.. >_>

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Neutrinos? Sounds like a new cereal...[/citation]

Yes, from POST !

Neutrinos with Quarks and Positrons for extra flavor :)

i sea

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]You know how badass it would be to transmit with neutrinos?Let's start with the basics:Send an email to the other side of the world... thru the ground... in nanoseconds...End of lag... forever...End of cables as backbones, one ping from LA to NewYork, and it's measured in nanoseconds...This whole "throttling" of your speed due to "congestion" would be a mute excuse.Wireless that is impervious to walls.Wireless access literally anywhere, in tunnels, in mountains, in the middle of the ocean, a mile under water....The possibilities are frickin endless.[/citation]

No lag sending to the other side of the world? Straight from the Google toolbar: " (2 * radius of Earth) / the speed of light = 42.5501031 milliseconds " That also means roughly 13 ms transmit time from LA to New York. Still very low latency, but not orders of magnitude better than what we have now. On the other hand, damn they can transmit signals with neutrinos now! Wasn't long ago detecting neutrinos at all was all theory!

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]Indeed. Weakest link is still detection. I like how engadget postulated the possibility of cellphones dumping radio for neutrinos.. cramming a neutrino receiver and generator into a handheld device that has an acceptable pickup rate, 20 years down the road?[/citation]
More like 300 years--if it's even technically possible.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Neutrino's don't operate like RF... You can't 'broadcast' Neutrino's. You can beam them like a very tightly confined laser beam. It will never be possible to use neutrino's to communicate with a highly mobile device. It would be like trying to have a cellphone tower keep a laser focused on every individual using it. However, since the main advantage of neutrinos is also it's main disadvantage, that they have no charge and can easily pass through solid matter, it's unlikely to be used in mass communications. It's very difficult to build a detector that can sense a particle that doesn't interact with anything. That's why they currently need billions of them just to see one.[/citation]
Thank you.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Some of you people think too much.mute?I intended it.Some of you people also think too slow."the collectors are too large""it would be impossible on mobile devices"What has happened to almost all electronic technology?It gets smaller... faster... cheaper... cascades into new technology... gets used beyond it's original purpose... becomes something entirely different...And it's only getting faster...Try to keep up.. >_>[/citation]
That's because electronics fit within the laws of physics. First, they are using an immense accelerator that uses size to accelerate particles. What law of physics says that you can accelerate particles to near light speed with a small portable device. Yes, technology progresses rapidly, but we can't do what is physically not possible. This technology might be great for long distance space communications one day, or for super secret transmissions, but to suggest that a cell phone size device is going to be transmitting and receiving neutrinos some time soon is just lunacy.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
To those that think this will be practically applied in a decade or two, highly doubtful. To give you an idea of what a neutrino is like in size and mass, back in 1987 (Feb 24th 1987 to be exact), when SN1987A was noted, the first sign of light was noticed on Earth for the detonation. 3 days (Feb 27th 1987) after the detonation of SN1987, the neutrino cloud from that detonation arrived on Earth and was detected. SN1987A is 168k lightyears away from Earth. So, those neutrinos were at 0.99999995c (or 185999.991 milesps or 299792443.3 metersps). A minute change in location would be difficult to properly target, so unlikely to be used in some kind of mobile media.

mleejr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Some of you people think too much.mute?I intended it.[/citation]
Really? You meant to use a word that in context makes no sense but if you replace 'your' word with the word everyone here knows you actually intended then it makes complete sense? If were are as smart as you think you are then you would just say "oh ya, good catch...". No biggie. Instead, you actually made a bigger deal of it by actually saying "I meant to say that!". You sound like you are 5...and, frankly, not very bright. You sound exactly like my 6 year old nephew.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Some of you people also think too slow.[/citation]
That is an adverb. It's slowLY. Well, unless you meant to use bad grammar on this sentence also.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Try to keep up.. >_>[/citation]
I agree Jethro, try to keep up. And try not to insult everyone here, especially considering you are on the losing end of your own argument. Everyone here, save at least one 'noted' example, seem very much above the average. For all of us, it's like being insulted by a monkey.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]mleejr[/nom]For all of us, it's like being insulted by a monkey.[/citation]

I like monkeys.

To sum up, neutrinos are a particle. Transmission of data requires precise targeting. Current and future radios transmit data via waves, which, depending on the antenna, can either be targetted for a boost in power and range, or left to propagate in every direction. Advantage, wave. For more on the eternal battle between particle and wave, visit your local physics class.

Status
Not open for further replies.