Solved! Resetting a Toshiba TV Remote control

Sep 18, 2019
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to reset a Toshiba CT-8069 remote control.

Basically, it got caught down the side of a sofa, and the YouTube button was pressed for quite a while, which seemed to connect the button to the channel the TV was on. It means my YouTube button has been disconnect from the app, and now automatically loads channel 3. I can reset the button to go to any other channel just press and hold - but I cannot reset it to go back any of the apps.

I have tried loading the YouTube app from the home screen - and then press and hold, but even though there is the message "My button is saved" - it doesn't link to the app. I've also tried pressing the button with the app highlighted in the home screen - again - doesn't connect to the app.

If there is any way to reconnect to the app - that's brilliant - but if not, can I reset the remote simply back to factory settings.

Surely it can't be that I will need to replace the remote? Even with a new one, this could happen again at any time with a replacement remote.

I can't find anything on the Toshiba website - if you can't help - if you have the link to Toshiba support - that would also be great. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Not sure I can help but that remote doesn't look like it can be rebooted or reprogrammed so I am guessing that mapping a button to an app is done in the TV not the remote.
If that button itself was damaged then it wouldn't work at all.
Resetting the TV to its' defaults may help but might be a pain to do. I would contact them first.
https://toshiba-tv.com/uk-uk/support
Sep 18, 2019
I've managed to solve it - but in a very awkward way. You were completely right - it was the TV mapping it, not the remote. I did a factory reset of the TV, and the remote is working fine now.

But having to reconnect to wifi, re-log in to all of the apps. It took a long time. Too long when it was only one button needing resetting. There doesn't seem to be any option to undo remote mapping in the TV's settings menu though. Bit of a design issue really.

Thanks for your help, anyway.