Resolution Revolution: 4K TV Sales Expected to Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
here is the problem with 4k nothing is going to support it for a while and when it does get support it will be very slow. 4k is only good for tv screen sizes 55 inches and up, anything lower then that you won't tell the diff between 1080p and 4k. So the bulk of TV's under 55 inches will remain 1080p much like the bulk of TV's under 42 inches remain 720p. Then you have cable companies and tv station who really dictate the HD market. Many TV stations are happy with 1080i and 720p formats, which is why cable companies like dish don't have boxes higher then 1080i. So you can forget about 4k mainstream broadcasting in the near future, when the vast majority of tv stations don't even do 1080p yet! then you have 8k around the corner which will make 4k displays the highest resolution you get, short lived even though I really see no reason to have an 8k TV display unless you plan on having a screen the size of a movie theater screen in your house.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Not to mention the amount of compression cable/satellite puts on 1080i and 720p already makes those crap sometimes too. Even with the new HEVC(h.265) I don't think they can put out as many channels without turning it into garbage. Of course they could switch from a broadcast model on cable to an all IP based model for 4K. Maybe give us a la carte too while they're at it..Those last 2 are dreams.

Algernon Ex

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Here is a hot one from my personal marketing crystal ball. If this technology doesn't bomb and fail miserably, I will go back to listening high definition audio CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.