Restoring Laptop (IBM Thinkpad) Lenovo t60p

Maxxmz

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
So I am trying to restore a piece of junk work laptop. I plan on using it just to mess around with virtual box. So a few problems right off the bat. The keyboard does appear to be working... But... The laptop doesn't seem to register them all. I had disassembled it and cleaned it off and it started working. However the next day it broke once again. Some random keys work like cntrl and fn but none of the qwerty keys.
Another problem is the display. It has a yellow tint. I am not sure if it is a display or gpu problem.
Lastly (sorry) The computer appears to overheat quite violently and the fan does work and has been dusted off. I got temperatures of 140 F and also too hot to touch.

Solution
Doesn't really sound like it's worth the time or effort. but... for the overheating, try new termal paste and see if that helps, otherwise you may need to use a laptop cooling fan, but for temps that high, it will likely shut down or burn out eventually. for the yellow tint, connect to an external monitor and see if it does it on the external as well. if it does show the tint on the external it's a GPU issue, if it does not, it's a display issue ( more than likely) as for the keyboard, you will probably need to try another keyboard to see if it has the same issues. if it does have the same issues, it's a hardware issue on the board or the connection from the board to the keyboard, if it does not and works then it was an issue with the...
Doesn't really sound like it's worth the time or effort. but... for the overheating, try new termal paste and see if that helps, otherwise you may need to use a laptop cooling fan, but for temps that high, it will likely shut down or burn out eventually. for the yellow tint, connect to an external monitor and see if it does it on the external as well. if it does show the tint on the external it's a GPU issue, if it does not, it's a display issue ( more than likely) as for the keyboard, you will probably need to try another keyboard to see if it has the same issues. if it does have the same issues, it's a hardware issue on the board or the connection from the board to the keyboard, if it does not and works then it was an issue with the actual keyboard and not a board or connection issue.

Solution