restoring old stereo

bluesky4us

Honorable
May 19, 2013
finishing replacing most of the transistors on a HH scott 325 R receiver.
i dont really know what to do if the bias adjustment pot is destroyed. i know that you replace it with the same exact one but where are you supposed to set it to prevent another burn out.

Solution
Make sure the multi turn pot can dissipate the heat. Single turn have higher dissipation ratings. The designer probably used 1/2 to 3/4 turn to get maximum dissipation. I didn't see the exact model, but found a near model (320R) that recommended 40 ma. In the HH Scott 320 the bias pot is 330 ohm. If used at 150 ohm with a 1.2 volt drop the dissipation would be 1/100w. Not much. 10x that would be 1/10w and plenty safe. I must be thinking of tube bias where the pot is in the cathode. Make sure to change the electrolytics that look swollen as well. Good luck.

bluesky4us

Honorable
May 19, 2013
i have all of the papers.
one pot is set right where it is supposed to be i wrote down the resistance and ordered multi turn pots.
i when i am done i will follow the instructions and correct the bias.
the last owner turn the original pot the in extreme position and it burned out. it is to bad that i got something that needs so much work done.

cbenda

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Make sure the multi turn pot can dissipate the heat. Single turn have higher dissipation ratings. The designer probably used 1/2 to 3/4 turn to get maximum dissipation. I didn't see the exact model, but found a near model (320R) that recommended 40 ma. In the HH Scott 320 the bias pot is 330 ohm. If used at 150 ohm with a 1.2 volt drop the dissipation would be 1/100w. Not much. 10x that would be 1/10w and plenty safe. I must be thinking of tube bias where the pot is in the cathode. Make sure to change the electrolytics that look swollen as well. Good luck.

Solution

bluesky4us

Honorable
May 19, 2013
i finally the bias is repaired but i am having problems with a 220ohm resistor shorting out and burning in the circuit.
the 320R has the same typology for resistors i am lost on what to look at next.
first thing i tried was using to ohm meter to check for the short no luck.
next thing was checking the leakage of all transistors in the circuit. in fact i checked the whole board again no luck