Retailers Break Modern Warfare 2 Street Date

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba_steve_va

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
No dedicated servers is not about latency sparky.

It means that:

1) My clan cannot have dedicated well-known servers where our 150 members can always go to join a game. Ditto our several hundred regulars. We have had such servers for 8 years for a range of CoD titles...and it is our COMMUNITY.

2) My clan cannot ban obvious cheaters. PB misses them and so will MW2's lame anti-cheating system.

3) My clan cannot ban idiots. We have no profanity and no harrassment policies. Folks obey it or we ask them to leave. Most refuse...and we show them the door.

4) It means no custom maps or mods developed by the community...which is how we keep playing some of these games for years.

5) Their current hosting plan means that if the player who happens to be the host quits, everyone's game stops immediately...for 5 or more seconds while IW decides to whom to assign the server role next.

Console gaming sucks...for a range of reasons. Most folks on consoles don't know how much more powerful PC gaming is. That said, consoles are 80% of game title sales at the moment...and I assume that if Activision thought they could get away with it, they would abandon PC titles all together. Support costs would certainly drop...since console hardware and drivers are well-known. They can't without raising a hue and cry that would tarnish them, so they are releasing a PC title that is little more than a console title with mouse support...and then having the audacity to charge more for it.

Vote with your wallet. If that means more titles go console only, so be it. We will not be ignored by everyone. Let Carmack see what the result of this BS is....and wait for Bad Company 2.

munkman31

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
be nice to geckoar. he has been playing video games for years.
his mother bought him a 360 for xmas, and he knows everything!
but hey, that comes with being 16.

nekko

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
to all the pc gamers out there.. I play pc games and xbox live... dedicated servers are what made cod4 on pc... but thats it, I'd much rather just jump in and play with my buds on xbox live.
Yes pc's are more powerful, but not if you have a bump pc (IF you have the $$$$ to spend on a very good pc then great)but most poeple don't. Xbox live is alot easier to "get around" and you don't have to worry about your pc lagging with console gaming.. or crashing, ETC ETC ETC.
Yes I love pc gaming, but I do not trash console gamers because they are mainly the same thing... there playing the same game!
Oh and modding is gay... except for zombie mods on pc. But thats not what the game was intended for. I mean aim bots and all that sh** COME ON horrible!!!
And if you do not like the no dedicated server thing... get over it... its a great game have played it!
And bad company 2 will be as crappy as the first...
CoD franchise FTW for war games... THE END
So stop bit**ing about dedicated servers... Not everyone is going to be happy and thats it... No jugger, no private chat, no dedicated servers, what else can everyone complain about!!

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
That really sucks because I ordered mine (I live in NY btw), and the store wouldnt sell it too me today even though the gamestop down the road broke the release date......what a bad desicion too order them that store XD

G

Eh, it seems to me that selling products before the official release date has become the new trend. So has leaking prices/information. :/

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Seriously? No dedicated server support? Uggh. That is the same stupid mistake Ubisoft made with the Raven Shield series. When then did the the computer world turned their back on the game and quit playing it. The same will happen to this game with no dedicated server support. Scuba Steve has it 100% correct.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
On top of handicapping the PC version, I refuse to pay a $10 premium for this game for no reason. Any other game I buy for $60 dollars comes in a metal case, has a poster, art book, behind the scenes making of DVD, and all kinds of other shut. If they think I am just going to give they an extra $10 during these economic times they can *beep* my *beep*.

noiz

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
The game looks fantastic so far but the marketing policies that are being followed by the makers are pretty lame. Especially the lack of dedicated servers. If there's one thing that CoD series are most known about that's multiplayer.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Is it just me or does anyone else notice the receipt is for someone reserving a copy not purchasing a copy. Not that it really matters since this game could be substituted with a bag of crap and nobody would notice.

G

@bill:
That's just Gamestop promoting the game on the receipt. It's not the actual product purchased.

Probound

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]brett_monkey[/nom]No dedicated servers, no mods, 9v9 max players. No way I am going to buy this game. Console gamers have no clue what they are missing.[/citation]

Thats the truth. Im passing up on this one!!

Probound

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]scuba_steve_va[/nom]No dedicated servers is not about latency sparky.It means that:1) My clan cannot have dedicated well-known servers where our 150 members can always go to join a game. Ditto our several hundred regulars. We have had such servers for 8 years for a range of CoD titles...and it is our COMMUNITY.2) My clan cannot ban obvious cheaters. PB misses them and so will MW2's lame anti-cheating system.3) My clan cannot ban idiots. We have no profanity and no harrassment policies. Folks obey it or we ask them to leave. Most refuse...and we show them the door.4) It means no custom maps or mods developed by the community...which is how we keep playing some of these games for years.5) Their current hosting plan means that if the player who happens to be the host quits, everyone's game stops immediately...for 5 or more seconds while IW decides to whom to assign the server role next.Console gaming sucks...for a range of reasons. Most folks on consoles don't know how much more powerful PC gaming is. That said, consoles are 80% of game title sales at the moment...and I assume that if Activision thought they could get away with it, they would abandon PC titles all together. Support costs would certainly drop...since console hardware and drivers are well-known. They can't without raising a hue and cry that would tarnish them, so they are releasing a PC title that is little more than a console title with mouse support...and then having the audacity to charge more for it.Vote with your wallet. If that means more titles go console only, so be it. We will not be ignored by everyone. Let Carmack see what the result of this BS is....and wait for Bad Company 2.[/citation]

Very well Said! ! !

I would take PC gaming over Console any day! !

Status
Not open for further replies.