Review: Alienware M11x Gaming Netbook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
mephime, it still is a great laptop. If you're not a gamer at all, even in the slightest, then it's undoubtedly much more than you need. While powerful graphics processing is nice, it really hasn't hit the big time in terms of standard applications. Obviously your use for the machine is what would make your purchase choice the most important, but if you don't plan on gaming, you are better off with a less expensive machine.

wintermint, $800, or even the tested $1100 machine is a pretty damn good deal considering the hardware and capabilities. It may look overpriced, just like a Blu-ray is overpriced compared to a DVD. Sure, you don't need the high-quality picture or surround sound, but when you have a good TV and surround sound speakers, why get just another DVD?

G

Would the less expensive cpu make a large difference in performance? I've read some folks who think the su7300 wouldn't increase gaming performance much?

G

The cheapest version of this cost around $1100 in Norway. Sucks, because I would realy like one of these for traveling ;(

G

Have been considering a netbook but this has my attention. Wish it had a faster processer, ssd drive and could keep the price uner $1000......I would probably buy it then. I have a high end 17" laptop and while it is great have got tired of lugging it around - I travel lots for work

G

Price is what makes a netbook. This is not a netbook. They are using that term because "netbooks" is what's in. I'd by it for less than $500. Otherwise, it's not a netbook.

Tesca

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I enjoyed the review, but there is NO way I'd buy another Alienware laptop. I now have two of their laptops at +$2,500.00 and +3,500.00 that are boat-anchors, after a period of only 5 years (combined), and used as-is/no additional hardware tweak like over-clocking. Each performed great, until there were issues. Ultimately (combined) I had a hard drive crash, failed memory, and a GPU that tanked slowly (possibly from thermal fatigue from hours of Warcraft). Kudo's for producing some high-end hardware, but my experience with their customer support (phone and web), has convinced me to shop elsewhere in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.