Review: Sony PS3 Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

tessalynd

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
It took over a month for this? And no mention of the price cut?

In other recent news, Ben Franklin discovered electricity! Hear more at your local town crier!

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'll agree it was short, but atleast it was to the point. Then again, I don't know how far you can actually go "in-depth" with a product that was essentially the same, save a few minor tweaks. The review overall was good then.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
actually the slim doesn't not have the linux option anymore nor the touch senstive power and eject button, just real buttons. I read this on other review site.

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Sorry, bit once. My PS-3 is in a closet, since it stopped working due to a failed Sony firmware update, and Sony want's lots'o'money to fix their error. Never again. Besides, I never felt comfortable with the console style game controller. I guess I'm just a PC gamer.

Hint for console designers: If I can't reset the machine to original architecture and try again, and you want half the price of the machine to fix your failure, I'm not going to ever buy one of your products again. There should be core logic in these machines that lets it boot in a basic failsafe mode so you can delete all updates and retart the upgrade process. That's just basic engineering, and not having that is downright criminal.

G

People if we are talking about comparing with bluray standalone why not talk about PS3 old issue with the bluray lazer?? Does it have the same blueray component reader that keep breaking? Or did they use the cool new one that used half the space?? Do they buffer more the movie now or do they keep spinning that disc all the time?? Well that one must be a firmware issue anyway.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
As a blu-ray player the Slim isn't not bad, but its a trade off between load times and background noise...

Personally if I didn't own the Slim already I'd go with a standalone player if all you want is to play blu-ray movies, those 30 seconds you save from the initial load time of the disc isn't worth the annoying fan noise which is more than noticeable.

Granted its less noisy than the 'fat' PS3, but its not actually 'quiet' by my standards.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
You need to fix the link to the old review. If you are coming from Tom's Guide in the US, it just redirects you to the main site since Digital Versus must be the UK version.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Well were you guys just trying to hit the five point lesson and leave things out unnoticed, because I think that the lack of a power switch( back of old PS3 and PS2) is a big difference for some people.

davidpenman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
# Noisier than standalone Blu-ray players
# Consumes more power than standalone Blu-ray players

Those aren't cons...it isn't a standalone blu-ray player...

G

wtf is up with this guy and power consumption. i dont know where you come from, but even in africa we dont generate our electricity by hand. how can you mark down an item due to its consumption, which coincidentally is infantismal to begin with. i cant imagine you reviewing an oven or a kettle, jesus, i dont know if you even use lights in your house

G

Ps3 slim dts bitstream audio drops out when skipping chapters and when u pause/resume movie when used with pioneer receivers (firmware 3.0 & 3.1). Hopefully sony addresses this problem soon for people with pioneer home theater receivers. note: when ps3 slim has LPCM output enabled it works fine. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1176517 heres a link to a post showing others with similar trouble

G

does version 3.1 (on a 60gb "Fattie") update affect my sacd playback in multi-channel...bought it more for sacd & blu-ray than gaming...am I OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.