Reviving Latitude D610

trd10

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I have an old Dell Latitude D610 and have been considering trying to update it and make it useable. My question is, is it possible to put an SSD in this and what does this entail? Is it even worth it? It doesn't seem like it would cost all that much for a smaller size SSD. It currently has XP and the hard drive I believe is only 60gb. I don't have any experience with SSD's and think this would be a nice project before swapping the HDD's for SSD's on my desktop. Any insight or general direction would be appreciated.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I forget if the 610s had IDE or SATA drives, because they would probably be right around the time SATA was being phased in and IDE phased out.

So if it uses SATA drives, then yes it would be possible. If it uses IDE, then it probably isn't going to be worth it. You'd have to find some kind of an adapter, and it's very likely that you'd then run out of space to fit the SSD in.

trd10

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I believe from the little I just looked around that it has IDE but found a few places that have a SATA 2nd hard drive caddy for this model. I know that it has a place for a second hard drive, just not sure if it is SATA or if this can be used as the primary. Appreciate the info so far!

trd10

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Drive-Caddy-Adapter-Latitude/dp/B004FM6YU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top here is a link to the item I was describing. Now, would the laptop be able to support an SSD? What would be involved in installing this and making it work as a primary? Assuming I would be able to get it to work in this manner and set it to boot from, what would be an ideal size to get? I was considering running windows 7, but not completely sold on it. I would also like to replace the HDD for storage. Haven't found too much information on this with this model.

trd10

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Well, went ahead and bought the HDD caddy and installed an Intel 330 120gb SSD. I installed XP Pro on it and has a much better response time. The old HDD still has all the original OS and files on it. Now that I know it works and think I have a decent enough size (especially since the original HDD is 40gb). How can I get the most out of it? I don't believe I can enable the AHCI. Unable to find that in the bios. I installed the Intell Toolbox, but am unable to use the Optimizer, I believe because of the AHCI not being enabled. Still trying to learn about SSD's, but most of the things I read relate to Windows 7. Should i have gone about this in a different way?