RIM CEO Says We Don't Need Apps for the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
They wouldn't exist at all if mobile web was just like your desktop web, but the simple fact is, it is no where close to the experience of a true browser. Until we get a real browser for smart phones an app to glean information from the web is a much easier and efficient route.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Pretty soon, apps will be like DOS, outdated and part of the next-gen of software. Can't wait until we can use system software instead of simplified applications for mobile devices. That would bring everything together.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Pretty soon, apps will be like DOS, outdated and part of the next-gen of software. Can't wait until we can use system software instead of simplified applications for mobile devices. That would bring everything together.[/citation]

Cue ChromeOS. Can't wait for that to come out on tablets. :)

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Whether we need apps instead of just a mobile browser is kind of a mixed question, really. A mobile browser that does everything that a normal browser can would eliminate the need for applications designed to run on just one site or for just a single purpose, which would certainly reduce the hassle involved in going and finding an application for every single task rather than to do something easily accomplishable on a desktop machine with a browser. The problem is really the screen size avaliable. Compared to the 1600x1000+ resolutions avaliable to desktops/laptops, mobile things are usually limited to about 6 or 7 inch screens and maybe 800x600 if you're lucky. Most webpages just won't look right at that resolution, and having to scroll to see anything but a header is far from ideal. Making a higher resolution panel in a much smaller size has problems too, as some people already complain about a 1920x1080 17' laptop having small text, imagine it on a 1680x1050 5 inch screen. We don't want to have to bother getting a different application for every minor task we want to do and every website we visit, but we don't have the visual space to have a fully functioning browser either.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
"There’s still a role for apps, but can you use your existing content? Can you use your existing web assets? Do you need a set of proprietary tools to bring existing assets on to a device, or can you use known tools that you use for creating websites?"

Too many questions, so few answers... i need some apps to get answers

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Dear shadu10, thank you for continuing to spam us.
Here, there's bad news to tell you: No one here gives
a damn about your stupid company so GTFO.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]This is one of those "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Moments[/citation]

i think its more about finding a real solution instead of just going where the money is....in the gaming industry they announcing dlc the same day the game is release...i wont be surprise that in the future phones will be crippled until u by apps to unlock features
just like non free dlc i see nothing good in the future with paying apps

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I owned a Blackberry 9700 for about 4 months and took the loss in $$ because it can't browse worth a sh*t!
Blackberry is bottom of the barrel, it is good for phone calls and thats about it. Both Iphone and Droid destroy BB in every catagory.... OHH the blackberry has great battery life, Blackberry wins this one catagory.

R.I.P Blackberry.

G

I feel apps will not for long time remain as App (in current format)...It will evolve and move towards something more to bring about device convergence. You can see that happening with Automobile apps. Recently GM released App for Smartphone which can be used to do simple tasks like unlocking doors, Checking tire pressure and start car....
So mobile apps are evolving and that is where the value of App lies....Check out my blog for some interesting article about the app stores...
http://www.infosysblogs.com/livewire/application_marketplace/

G

Dear Concern,

I had purchased " BlackBerry Torch " Handset on 13th Nov'10 from Mobile Store ( Bandra Branch ).

Cost of Handset taken is - 33000/-.

Today Not even 1 month passed - I am facing lots of problem of this Handset.

First Problem - Colour of the Pannel which is Silver is getting removed and the look of my handset for which I have paid 33000/- is becoming ugly.

Second Problem - Whenever I try to search or to type any kind of message - Letter " Q " is automatically typed by default every 1 second - So again am much fedup up of this Handset.

Even I visited Mobile Store Branch ( DADAR ) from which i got refernce of Bandra Branch to purchase this Handset and launched offical compliant abt this Handset , But they are saying they can't help me in this matter and asked me to visit BlackBerry Centre ( Which was again very frustrating after spending 33000/- for this handset , Am asked to run after Blackberry Service centre ).

Today again I contacted Blackberry Centre at 09892307070 but Still I have not received any positive response from them.

So I will be highly obliged if you pls help me to get back my Money or Help me to get fresh guarented Handset.

Pls find the attachment for the Scan Copy of my Mobile Bill which I received from Mobile Store ( Bandra Branch ).

Awaiting for your positive reply asap.

Regards
Sanket Korde.
Handheld :- 9967576666.

Status
Not open for further replies.