RIM Delaying BlackBerry 10 Devices Until 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Wow, I believe this is the 4th delay during seriously troubled times. Maybe they're trying to perfect the product. They better pray that's the case because there is no room for mediocrity here anymore. If they don't come out with something literally amazing they may as well fold.

It's hard to fathom just how badly they were managed to crash like this. The futures never looked worse and it's increasing exponentially every day.

RIP.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have been a BB user for a long time, was waiting to see what BB 10 will bring for my next upgrade, but 2013 really I guess is going to be S3 for the next upgrade. So bye bye RIM and may you rest in peace...................

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have been a BB user for a long time, was waiting to see what BB 10 will bring for my next upgrade, but 2013 really I guess is going to be S3 for the next upgrade. So bye bye RIM and may you rest in peace...................

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Its better to come out witha product that works then do a rush job.

Think of this, if they rush their products to get it out asap, the the media will ben bitching about every flaw. The media is always anti RIM, and that causes them to loose buisness.

mharry860

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
R.I.P RIM, there's no way they can survive this. There stock was halted twice in the last 24 hours, they're toast. This is sad, RIM and Palm were in my opinion real smart phones. The iPhone is a smart phone for stupid people. I just got ICS on my Galaxy s2, they're getting close. Calender and Contact search needs to extend deeper than the contact name, which the iPhone won't do.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
BB10 is so very very late... There really is no excuse for this. They deserve to die.

Not sure why ANYONE would buy them out. Google, microsoft and Apple have all the patents they need for their smart phones.

Perhaps RIM should put Android on their phones (with keyboards) and hope for the best... afterall, they are already running Android emulation to run those apps.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Its better to come out witha product that works then do a rush job.Think of this, if they rush their products to get it out asap, the the media will ben bitching about every flaw. The media is always anti RIM, and that causes them to loose buisness.[/citation]
I'm not media, but I hate BB (of the past at least) based on my own experience with their crappy phones. But its still sad to see them die, but its their own fault. Commodore died back in the early 90s... they had a most power PC in the 80s, but they made their own failure doing what RIM does.

RIM rushed out their PLAYBOOK with an unfinished OS (as did HP) - took them a year to come out with a self-contained email and calendar program? how hard is that?

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I'm still using my old trusty 8900. But if it breaks down unrepairable before BB11 comes out, I will most probably change to Android and not looking back.

2013 is still a long way to go... like 5~6 months away.

I don't find BB phones are crappy. They might be not the most competitive in terms of feature, but it just works great and very practical.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Wow! Amazing RIM is dead! Cool! But they've sold 7.8 million phones and 260 000 playbooks in a quarter. They might sell at least 15 million phones and 600 000 playbooks until the end of the year.

When Apple were selling far less than that did reports claim that Apple were failure and dead?

Wow. I wonder if these reporters get paid by Apple or these are from the $500 million that Microsoft spared for Windows Phone marketing?

Anyway I think that RIM have really a problem: lack of focus! Here it is: "But the integration of these features and the associated large volume of code into the platform has proven to be more time consuming than anticipated, thus the delay."
How about ditching the useless Android player??? How about concentrating to bring high quality native API along with the HTML5 API or maybe the Adobe AIR and that's enough.
How about incremental improvements like Apple does!? They incoporate something completely useless or minor that others have for years and they taunt it like the biggest event since the Big Bang.

Are people appointed at high positions (in business and in politics) always such sweet talkers (with maybe zero abilities and brain)?
""Our first quarter results reflect the market challenges I have outlined since my appointment as CEO at the end of January. I am not satisfied with these results and continue to work aggressively with all areas of the organization and the Board to implement meaningful changes to address the challenges, including a thoughtful realignment of resources and honing focus within the Company on areas that have the greatest opportunities," said Thorsten Heins, President and CEO. "

What's that nonesense he says?

G

Everyone canes BB..."Apple this...Apple that...." in a significant enterprise data usage by an Apple device is 5 times what a BB uses for mail.......Start global roaming and watch your TCO for Apple go through the roof.

Of course thats becuase Global roaming voice and data charges are obscene......

But in an enterprise with a managed fleet such things arent easily avoided.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
BB11 comes out? RIM will not live to see 2014.

3 years to re-work QNX for their devices? With their Android player and such... they might as well have gone Android, make CUSTOM BB apps, custom launcher and turned it out in 6 months.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]BB11 comes out? RIM will not live to see 2014.3 years to re-work QNX for their devices? With their Android player and such... they might as well have gone Android, make CUSTOM BB apps, custom launcher and turned it out in 6 months.[/citation]

Android was 2 years+ in the making, Apple worked on iOS for multiple of years and Microsoft spent at least 1.5 years working on WP7. RIM is hoping to develop both BB10 and hardware in just 2.5 years. I think that's pretty damn good.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Android was 2 years+ in the making. RIM is hoping to develop both BB10 and hardware in just 2.5 years. I think that's pretty damn good.[/citation]
QNX was already a functional OS... their playbook came out 1.5 years ago... and about a year after they bought out QNX. (Does QNX still sell their OS to their previous customers?)

Considering where the industry *IS* today and where its going... BB10 is like DukeNukem Forever... always out-dated tech before it can come out.

The original iPhone came out just over 5 years ago. RIM should have had a re-written OS replacing their old stuff about 3 years ago... so at their current rate... they are 4 years behind by the time BB10 comes out - if ever in 2013. That *IS* the problem.

I played with the latest BB device at my at&t store because I said I would to be fair (yes, Pirks is a RIM fanboy). The construction and design of their phones is EXCELLENT. Using their current OS on their hardware was... a bit crumblesome. Its not horrible. I also played with the iPhone4, latest Android and WindowsPhones. Nothing felt as good as the BB... other than the iPhone (almost).

I think the HTC One X will be my replacement. Its not glossy plastic... no odd-edges.

But yeah, an Android BB Torch would be a sale without a 2nd thought.

RIM going Android is their only hope. When I used the Android HTC vs Sony vs Samsung vs Pantec vs LG.... they all had their own different looking Android Launchers, phone dial pads, contacts. Different themes. Different layouts.

NOTHING keeps RIM from making a sharp business like black-solid looking Android phone, throwing in their own custom patented apps. It would only take RIM a few weeks to get Android 4.x running on their latest hardware (in development).

Status
Not open for further replies.