RIM Recalls 1,000 Faulty BlackBerry PlayBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I too assume that the 1000 recalled (note that many are still in the channel according to the story) was most of the units sold. Who wants a playbook that can't read email without a blackberry that can read the email for it... Like the guy in "Search for the Holy Grail" clomping coconuts to make hoof beat sounds for the "king." It seems like all the manufactures are out to prove that ONLY Apple can make a good tablet. Odd.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
"The PlayBook received mostly lukewarm reviews following its launch, as RIM’s decision to ship the device without native email, calendar, and other PIM services was panned by critics. These are available for users pairing the PlayBook with a BlackBerry phone but native apps for users without a BlackBerry companion device aren’t expected to arrive until later this year."

That might have a lot to do with the fact that the playbook was meant mearly as a BB companion device. If thats not what you wanted look else ware stop making it look like that were just duh email? contacts? whats that duh. You could say that making it exclusive to only BB phones might have been a bad idea. At least then it would have made sense other then bashing something that it wasn't meant to do in the first place.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Since they sold 50K on the first day and Best Buy said sales have "far exceeded expectation" your comment seems a little.....limp.[/citation]
"far exceeded expectation" is not difficult if expectations were low...

It's a 7" tablet for the price of the 9.7" iPad.... it's another new tablet OS platform.... it was released with some crucial first party apps missing.... no 3G version yet.....
I don't think anybody expected it to sell well.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
The playbook isn't a toy like your ipad's and whatnot. It's a business device, for corporate folks who need a tablet on the go. The 7" design is for portability and ease of use (try typing with your thumbs using a 10" tablet). It's selling quite well on the corporate end, which is exactly what it is designed for.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]The playbook isn't a toy like your ipad's and whatnot. It's a business device, for corporate folks who need a tablet on the go. The 7" design is for portability and ease of use (try typing with your thumbs using a 10" tablet). It's selling quite well on the corporate end, which is exactly what it is designed for.[/citation]
Why is it called PLAYbook then ?!? Are they sending a wrong message there?
The business loves them - not quite, the company I work for (9000 employees UK consultancy) uses quite a lot of mobile devices for many different applications and I have never heard anyone even mention them, although we use their mobile phones. At 7" they might be portable but who would want to carry around an additional device that does not do much on its own and needs a mobile as well?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]"far exceeded expectation" is not difficult if expectations were low...It's a 7" tablet for the price of the 9.7" iPad.... it's another new tablet OS platform.... it was released with some crucial first party apps missing.... no 3G version yet..... I don't think anybody expected it to sell well.[/citation]

MM it wasn't missing anything and it wasn't meant to have a stand alone wireless option. It was also meant to be small. It is what it was meant to be. Not another $30 a month bill or more. And for a more serious crowd not the kiddie group. In fact its exactly what i wanted out of a tablet pc in the first place. An ad don to the phone. Not some gimmick POS like the ipad is.

I'm sorry the narrow minded cant see the point. I would gladly carry around a pad that didn't force me into another contract for $30 a month to get something i ALREADY get with my phone.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]MM it wasn't missing anything and it wasn't meant to have a stand alone wireless option. It was also meant to be small. It is what it was meant to be. Not another $30 a month bill or more. And for a more serious crowd not the kiddie group. In fact its exactly what i wanted out of a tablet pc in the first place. An ad don to the phone. Not some gimmick POS like the ipad is. I'm sorry the narrow minded cant see the point. I would gladly carry around a pad that didn't force me into another contract for $30 a month to get something i ALREADY get with my phone.[/citation]

I wasn't saying the PlayBook was all bad. I was just trying to explain why it doesn't have mass market appeal.

btw: I still don't get why 7" is supposed to be more portable than 10". It still doesn't fit in your pocket, so why not go with 10"?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
iPad not for business?!? I guess some of you are clueless. My company's employees can use iPad for email as well as many cloud services. Most love the device.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I wasn't saying the PlayBook was all bad. I was just trying to explain why it doesn't have mass market appeal.btw: I still don't get why 7" is supposed to be more portable than 10". It still doesn't fit in your pocket, so why not go with 10"?[/citation]

No i agree on the size personally. I wish it was bigger. I wanted it to be 10" also. Though i suppose their census said 7" in the business market. :/ As an extension to the phone basically one of its options is to basically give a screen upgrade.. 7 inches isn't a huge upgrade. So they thought it would be better small.. Other then that I'm glad someone made a tablet that used what you already have and doesn't make you basically have a bunch of copies on a bunch of devices or force the cloud on you. It just see's the phone and basically says hey I'm moving all your crap to here really fast so you can use a big screen but when your not using it for your protection it doesn't save that info so you can lose your tablet. Its a nice security option it seems people misunderstand when they try to compare it with an ipad which its not the same kind of tablet in the first place. I say make a 10" model and I'm down. O and make a software package that allows it to work on other phones like say android? i mean it runs android apps it shouldn't be to hard to make it work with the OS.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think people are overblowing this whole issue. Most of the 1000 tablets haven't even made it into customers' hands, it has been told...

A recall on a much smaller scale than what iPhone4's recall should've been, and people are making this into a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.