RIM Ships BlackBerry OS 7.1, Intros PlayBook OS 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I really don't see a future in RIM for much longer. Some one will either buy them for patents or they will just fold.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Sorry to agree but I'd not buy a Blackberry device. Just too unsure of RIM's future and would not want to get stuck with an unsupported piece of Hardware.

G

This little beast is very, very nice. Incredibly easy to use multi-touch interface and the multitasking is unreal. I don;t think they're gonna waste all the tech they've invested here. I hope they get the calendar and email issues cleaned up, but if they open up the android apps on it then all this will take off.

G

Sounds like they are trying really hard to get ahead or at least back to where they were. Still lots of future for RIM, especially if they license there security software. There are other companies who are desperately trying to get something close.

G

I have a Playbook and think it's an incredible device as is. With additional key apps it should get red hot. Now, about the press release. Did you notice there wasn't even a hint of an Android App Player in 2.0? I think they can survive pushing back BBM, but if they don't make good on Android Apps, they're going to have a massive user revolt on their hands.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Started using a Bold 9900 recently and I'm loving it. It's my first smartphone and it's got me sold just with the hardware keyboard...and since I'm not looking to do random useless things on my phone, the lack of apps compared to iOS and Android doesn't hurt me.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
bought a Torch 9810 recently and it's awesome. fluid fast, a definite leap forward compared to the previous generations. it really feels like a well-built and dependable device, software and hardware wise. i don't know what all the talk of BB7 being under par is about, because it's excellent, and certainly competes with iOS and Android

LukeyB

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
OS 2.0 will make this thing just as capable as a iPad 2 and more. The apps are a given, but do not knock it until you try it. A couple of months ago, Tom's released a somewhat negative article stating "we don't see why the Playbook will go back up in price". I'm interested, and that's all I will say.

Status
Not open for further replies.