RIM: Yeah, That Apple Store Stunt Was Us

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
All is fair in marketing stunts as long as you don't bad mouth your competitors and explicitly label false claims against their products. Would rather see these types of campaigns than hear about lawsuits left and right.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not a bad marketing attempt then. Shares? What, you people think shares mean everything? Tell that to Microsoft - $25 for nearly 7 years, no one is complaining.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Number one reason i like my bb for work - only charge it once a week.

If i worked off my android or iphone, like i do my bb, it be at least once a day.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Someone posts their opinion and all of a sudden they're idiots because their opinion is not yours?[/citation]
Yep
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]It's like comparing FCPX to AVID. people who call themselves moviemakers use FCPX, while people who make real movies use AVID.[/citation]
Who uses AVID anymore? Even when I went to school 10 years ago people were leaving AVID in droves. They are a standards company that makes an editor that nobody uses. Most people use FCP, and people who need crazy plugins, or prefer the PC side use Adobe.[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Not a bad marketing attempt then. Shares? What, you people think shares mean everything? Tell that to Microsoft - $25 for nearly 7 years, no one is complaining.[/citation]
Exactly. The face value does not matter so much as the change over time after considering splits and dividends. Most companies have a target price for their shares and when the shares get expensive then they split. When the shares collapse in price then they merge. Apple is one of those few companies that does not split shares because it would look bad on their image. Imagine them trying to explain to Joe Public why their share price went from ~$600 to ~300 because of a split. People would flip and it would make national news... when this is something other companies do every single day. Apple is doing really well, and a lot of it has to do with their ability to sell their latest product: iShares

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
If you have money invested in the stock market and panic when the stock price halves, but your total investment stays stable, then you probably shouldn't be buying individuals stocks in the first place... Likewise for those people who think that the split would be great, since now 'when it goes up $1, I have twice as many shares'...

Maybe start with lower risk/reward investments like mutual funds and bonds?

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]YepWho uses AVID anymore? Even when I went to school 10 years ago people were leaving AVID in droves. They are a standards company that makes an editor that nobody uses. Most people use FCP, and people who need crazy plugins, or prefer the PC side use Adobe.[/citation]
Clearly you don't work in the film industry, and as a result have no idea what you're talking about. Any serious editing is done in AVID... FCP is used by amateur filmmakers who think they know what they're talking about.
I'm sorry, but the editing industry is run on PC with AVID, not the mac fanboys and their FCP.

Real film industry: Arri (sometimes RED) + AVID
Amateur wise-asses: DSLR (usually a Cannon) + FCP

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"The stock price alone does not tell you anything."True-- market cap is probably better:AAPL $550BRIM $6.6B[/citation]

Oh sure, but Apple does a helluva lot more than just smart phones. What does RIM do other than smart phones? RIM is the only small company in the business, if I'm not mistaken. All of their competition are huge companies that are also in many other markets.

Besides, Nvidia's stock is like $9B and AMD;s is like $6B, but AMD is the one with the next gen cards in high supply and a variety of them at that, so market cap is obviously not a good measure of a company, unless you want to know their market cap.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Purely a desperation attempt and just like almost any other fails to bring results. They were hoping this would gain much more media coverage than it did and hoped it would somehow tarnish Apple (without actually giving a message!) and then RIM would play the hero and admit it was them and somehow they would be loved and relevant again.

Apple does business with Foxconn and Foxconn is so dreadful it is linked to suicides , assaults, and even possible murder cases on its workers. (remember the first major media case with the prototype leak) if this cannot drive people away from Apple products than random people holding up signs without a actual message given are not going to win people over to RIM.

This remembers me of boxing matches where the dazed and almost finished boxer lets their guard down to throw one pathetic last punch out of desperation just to attempt to land a blow.
Let me be the first to say it before it becomes official, goodbye RIM.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure RIM's shareholders are going to pull a similar stunt in front of RIM office, because if any company in the smartphone business needs to "wake up", is RIM.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
"The stock price alone does not tell you anything."

The stock price was 5.5 times higher year-over-year. Market investors, who trade on the market every trading day, this includes everyone that has stocks or trades them, look at their full balance sheet to make their call. Sure they're in the green but look closer at the sheet year-over-year: a fat-bloated company that needs a trimming. Pull it up, go ahead and come back to see how stupid your comments are.

If this company is that successful as you say they are, a whack load of investors/banks/hedge funds/financials/company holders/RIM majority holders/everyone market based disagrees with you. You may just classify this group as "bad guys' but in the end, I don't see you trading enough so any of us traders give a damn what you think about the valuation of this company. In other words, you're nothing to the stock market. We set the bar, you sit there with no manipulation via capital, money, trading,... You = 0 to the market. I'm sorry if that offends you. You always have the option to trade at any time.

P.S. My position is short trading RIM since $50 and I remain bearish and this article supports my point.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I think BBs are okay but for some reason the faults of the devices were hyped up to stellar proportions. It became a popular game of who can trash the company the most instead of really critiquing the pros and cons. Then the wall st sharks came in and tore their stock to pieces. The company in my opinion would be completely fine if it weren't for the coordinated efforts to kill their reputation. BB is a victim much more than a floundering tech company.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]"The stock price alone does not tell you anything."The stock price was 5.5 times higher year-over-year. Market investors, who trade on the market every trading day, this includes everyone that has stocks or trades them, look at their full balance sheet to make their call. Sure they're in the green but look closer at the sheet year-over-year: a fat-bloated company that needs a trimming. Pull it up, go ahead and come back to see how stupid your comments are.If this company is that successful as you say they are, a whack load of investors/banks/hedge funds/financials/company holders/RIM majority holders/everyone market based disagrees with you. You may just classify this group as "bad guys' but in the end, I don't see you trading enough so any of us traders give a damn what you think about the valuation of this company. In other words, you're nothing to the stock market. We set the bar, you sit there with no manipulation via capital, money, trading,... You = 0 to the market. I'm sorry if that offends you. You always have the option to trade at any time.P.S. My position is short trading RIM since $50 and I remain bearish and this article supports my point.[/citation]

The stock PRICE says little. The stock price dropping can say something more meaningful. The price says nothing because a company with a huge amount of $10 shares can still be worth more than and be better than a company with a smaller amount of more expensive shares. The share price isn't important. Furthermore, that doesn't exactly tell you how good the company's products are, just how well the company is doing. The two are not necessarily synonymous. I'm not denying the fact that RIM isn't doing too well nor the fact that most people would prefer other phones over them (for good reason), but the rest of my post is still correct.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
In you face! I wonder how apple will answere to that, probably with some brain wash ad! I'll do a research in my iCrap then post here if I find anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.