Question ROG Zephyrus M GM501 Fan question

Jan 20, 2020
Quick question guys, So I have the ROG Zephyrus M and it's like 1 1/2 yr old now. So the fan when at overboost mode is a lot louder compared to when it was new. Is this a sign that I should maybe repaste or something or is it something with the fan? I sometimes clean the fan using fine brushes then blow the air with my compressed gas duster. I don't know if that broke the fans or something?

If it is running to high, and you have been keeping it clean, then either something in the laptop is overheating, or the fan is going bad.

First test your systems temps and see if they are OK. If they turn out to be high, then you need to look at what is actually overheating and start with changing that things thermal paste, or even replacing the part if necessary.

Now if nothing is overheating, then you likely have a fan that is going bad. I would then look into replacing it.

Reactions: Benzbody
Jan 20, 2020
If it is running to high, and you have been keeping it clean, then either something in the laptop is overheating, or the fan is going bad.

First test your systems temps and see if they are OK. If they turn out to be high, then you need to look at what is actually overheating and start with changing that things thermal paste, or even replacing the part if necessary.

Now if nothing is overheating, then you likely have a fan that is going bad. I would then look into replacing it.

so should I check the temps when doing a stress test or like benchmark and would you be kind to recommend some good temperature apps and thermal paste if I ever will need it. If you don't mind. Thanks! I think something might really be overheating because there was a time where I was leaving it on for 3-4 days straight due to training some horses in black desert so that could be the culprit

There are a lot of good free ones out there that you can test with. Alas not all work with all laptops so you will have to see which works for you.

Some are...

Core Temp
Speed Fan
HWMonitor
Real Temp
AIDA64 Extreme
Open Hardware Monitor
CPU Thermometer
Speccy
Enhanco Free
HWiNFO

Me, I like Speed Fan, but again, it doesn't work on all devices.

As to the thermal paste, I woudl check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

Reactions: Benzbody
Jan 20, 2020
There are a lot of good free ones out there that you can test with. Alas not all work with all laptops so you will have to see which works for you.

Some are...

Core Temp
Speed Fan
HWMonitor
Real Temp
AIDA64 Extreme
Open Hardware Monitor
CPU Thermometer
Speccy
Enhanco Free
HWiNFO

Me, I like Speed Fan, but again, it doesn't work on all devices.

As to the thermal paste, I woudl check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

hi! So this is the constant Temp when I'm playing a game. What do you think?

GPU: 90c
HD 1: 35c
HD 2: 55c
Temp1: 86c
Core 0: 71c
Core 1: 73c
Core 2: 70c
Core 3: 71c
Core 4: 70c