Roku Starts to Look More Like Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Williams

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Really keen on the latest Roku, just wish they'd actually release it in the UK/Ireland (apparently you can use an imported US one - but messages seem to be mixed on this...)

BeyondTheStars

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
The ability to stream content from your PC already existed on Roku players using Roku channels like Plex, PlayOn, Gabby, etc. PlayLater is available (for purchase) and functions like a DVR. I have been using PlayOn for a while and it works rather well.

ebaleytherogue

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Miracast, in the PC world, can be used to wirelessly add another monitor to one's PC. This is different than Plex (which I love), PlayOn, and so forth, in that one does not simply broadcast media content, but actually uses the Miracast device as a second monitor, thus enabling one to compose documents, surf the web, and run other apps.

Question, Sean: When is the ability coming? I looked in the Roku channels store, and even through various private channels sites, and I did not see an available channel. And "later this year" has definitely arrived. I look forward to Miracast, on my Roku 3, but aside from this forum, I have not seen it advertised as an impending feature. Roku's site itself is mute on the subject. Aside from rumor, on the Roku forums, I have not seen an official announcement about Miracast availability this year for the Roku.

Status
Not open for further replies.