Router transmitting in a building

18joritchey90

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
I live in a 100 year old apartment building that has very thick stucco walls and lath board. My place of dwelling is 120 feet as you walk through the building to a bedroom where I would like to pick up an internet signal. I have purchased a signal booster for the wireless router I have but it interferes with the other tablets picking up the signal and nobody can really use their devices effectively. Is there a good router that can transmit effectively through all of this wall covering that 3 desktop computers and several tablets could receive a signal better than one or two bars? One of the computers sits right next to the existing router, and it works fine, whereas the other devices are located remotely in other locations in the building. Thank you.

Solution
Old buildings don't just have thick walls but may also have lead paint, layers of it, and other materials that will cause interference. Best thing to do is to use power line network hardware to get an ethernet port where the signal does not reach. I have run into connection issues with WiFi in old buildings not just 120 feet away, but next room to a router. You stand in the doorway and be at 5 bars, walk 3 feet to the left behind a wall and it drops to 3 bars.

18joritchey90

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

AC, belkin's f9k1116v1 dual band model. The signal repeater I purchased to "boost" the router's signal has no brand name but has a model # MAC: OE 41 58 01 16 8F, if that is any help. Thanks for helping me out.

Old buildings don't just have thick walls but may also have lead paint, layers of it, and other materials that will cause interference. Best thing to do is to use power line network hardware to get an ethernet port where the signal does not reach. I have run into connection issues with WiFi in old buildings not just 120 feet away, but next room to a router. You stand in the doorway and be at 5 bars, walk 3 feet to the left behind a wall and it drops to 3 bars.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS