RSA Secure ID Token Query

rowlands111

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Hello!

I had to come to Tom's Hadware for help, as the company behind RSA don't have support for ''non-enterprise'' (coined) customers.

My company installed RSA Secure ID so I can generate a token to log onto my companies Citrix apps, and open CRM software etc.

My question is this; I know that the token I received is bound to my hard drive, and perhaps the motherboard etc.

I'm wondering that if I need to re install Windows 8.1 onto the same hard drive, for whatever reason, will the serial generated by my hard drive be the same, and therefore match my token code?

I have no idea if any users would know this outside of EMC (company behind RSA) but, even my IT dept. in my company don't know!

And I don't want to ''test'' this scenario out, for the fear I won't be able to work!

Any help from IT pros/power users would be fantastic.

Cheers!

rowlands111

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
That's a fair and logical answer, and I appreciate it. However, my company's proprietary applications were installed via IT through an encrypted installer.

I can't recreate that environment, despite very much wanting to do so I'm afraid.

But now that you mention it, I suppose I could install the free ''RSA Secure ID with Automation'' - obtain the serial ID it generates on a laptop I have spare, make an image, then restore that image and see if the RSA serial (which has to match the seed file/soft token my company obtains for me at mild difficulty through our client) changes.

I know it's an obscure scenario, and this Forum, or any forum apart from the applications, aren't really for this.

Cheers!

EDIT* The closest I could get to testing this scenario with the same config of apps, settings, hardware etc Would be to bite the bullet and attempt a test system image restore using Macrium...

But as I said, there's a chance the serial WILL change, and I'll get into trouble/IT will be what the @@@@@ are you doing.