Rugged/Sturdy Laptop or Notebook Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hello,

I need some options for some sturdy or rugged laptops or notebooks. These laptops don't need to be completely fast, basically they are going to be travelling a lot, doing simple task like editing microsoft office documents. The do need to be sturdy, they will be sent out to contractors from time to time, so we don't want to have to buy a new laptop/notebook often. Battery life, well about 2 hours on battery would be just fine, but it's not a huge issue we'll probably give out extra batteries. It seems like Toughbooks get a bit expensive, and might get heavy. We would really like to stay under 2k per laptop as we have to probably buy about 10 of them. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi Paul,

You should check out the Toshiba Portege R705-P25. It is pretty sturdy and very inexpensive. The specs are also great: i3 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. The laptop is also 3.2 pounds, so it is great for traveling!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

ThinkPads are pretty sturdy as well, but they are not "ruggedized". Hell, I saw a video of a T series laptop that took a 35mph impact against a wall and it still worked.

It wasn't pretty, but the laptop still work. Actually some people would probably say a 35mph collision on a ThinkPad, is like smacking it with a Beauty Stick... It's so "ugly" it's beauty can only go up...

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi,

That sounds good! Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

MarketResearchMelissa

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Hi,

I found this forum and I wanted to reach out to you and other’s that are posting on this topic. My company, Think Group Austin, is a local market research firm in Austin, TX that works on research studies particularly in the technology fields. Although I may not be able to offer the advice you are looking for on this forum, I would like to offer to all who are posting on this forum an opportunity to share your opinions and earn money by participating in our upcoming research study. We are currently looking to speak to decision makers whose company uses either Rugged Laptop or Notebook Computer, Rugged Tablet or Slate Computer, Rugged Convertible Computers, or Rugged Fixed Vehicle Computers. The person we want to talk with must have a significant role in deciding what type of computer hardware their company buys. The purpose of this research study is to gain your insight as to what you like and dislike on features found on rugged/semi-rugged devices. Please note there is absolutely NO sales or promotions involved. We are strictly interested in your opinions.

The fortunate aspect of our study is that it can be done over the phone, therefore you can be in any place in the country to participate. The phone study will take an hour of your time and we will pay you $300 for sharing your opinions pertaining to rugged/semi-rugged devices. Please take a look at our website to verify the kind of work that my company does www.thinkgroupasustin.com.

We are interested in speaking with individuals in certain fields including: telecommunications, construction, oil/gas, utilities, police and public safety, and even federal military. If you are interested please feel free to contact me at Melissa@thinkgroupaustin.com or at 512-637-6690 and I will be able to give you more information and get you signed up.

Thank you again for your time and I look forward to speaking with anyone interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.