Rumor: Apple to Discontinue iPod Classic and Shuffle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Extremely bad news for all melomaniacs who collect music and need high capacity players. Switched from a creative MP3 to iPod because of capacity issues. Never used (and don't intend to use) iPhone because it simply does not have not enough storage space for my music collection. Does anyone know about a 160G or more MP3 player? Cowon?...

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Its a bad idea to kill off any product that makes money. I especially think they would be foolish to kill off the shuffle since it fits into an entirely separate product niche and does not compete against its Not everyone wants to exercise with a large screened device. Of course I just buy Sansa Clip because I am cheap, but I would hate to see Apple get out of this type of product simply because it would mean less competition in the field. Now as for the classic IPOD with an HDD.... I suppose killing it off makes sense. But killing off the entire IPOD product line would be a terrible idea. Although I can understand why American MBAs would like it since they equate firing people and streamlining with profits....[/citation]

Even though I despise apple, the one product I bought from them was the ipod nano 3gen, small square and thin. Good for my wife to ride a bike, work out, slap some music I got from the cds shes pick off the shelf then shes on the way. I still think the price was high but she like how it looked and it works fine. Dont need more than 4gigs of ram to do workouts. I did uninstall that crap itunes from the system right after that.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Killing the iPod Shuffle and Classic? That could make sense. Killing the iPod Touch? No.

Basically an iPod Touch is the cheapest and best way to get the App store on a portable device without having to pay monthly fees. I don't see them killing off the entire iPod line.

G

I love my iPod Nano. If I heard they kill the line entirely, I'd probably go buy a few to make sure I have them for years. I hate this "Just buy and iPhone" mentality. I love clipping the Nano on to my running shorts and heading out. Carrying the phone is a pain. Yes, I can get an armband or something, but that's very uncomfortable for 2 hours of running. Right now, the Shuffle and Nano have a following of endurance athletes. It would be sad if they dropped them.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I could see them killing the larger iPod devices with screens. There really is no need for those and I've never owned one.

The smaller postage stamp Shuffle is still great for the gym but they probably can't sell enough at the $45 price tag it still has. It's the only Apple product I've ever bought. There are clones for under $10 now though.

Apple only wants products they can respin every 6 months hoping you'll upgrade.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I wonder how they'll spin it if they do get rid of the Classic. They simply don't have anything else that works for people with large audio or video collections.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]Try 160 GB Drive for my huge collection of music from a lifetime as I am now 55 and own tons of old rare vinyl,cassettes,CD's,etcThey kill off that and I will find another product and not have to go near Apple again.[/citation]

and your point is? I mean honestly why do you think your opinion matters? Should Apple create this device just for you? Do you really need to have 160GB worth of MP3s on yourself? I rarely listen to most of the music on my iphone now... I recently started copying only playlists that I listen to and leave the rest on my computer. If I really need one of those old songs I will sync it later....

Cloud music will help with this management even further..

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I dislike apple as much as the rest of you, but the iPod classic seems to be the only LARGE capacity MP3/4 player on the market. I wouldn't mind owning one.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
platter-based HDD is definitely outdated. A internal flash + a slot for removable SDHC or SDXC cards should please those with huge collections.

bootsatthboar

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I only own a shuffle and a classic. I wouldn't mind an ipod touch if they came in a 128+ gb flavor that didn't cost $400+. My shuffle is a swimman so it's waterproof. I couldn't use a nano strapped to the back of my goggles in the pool, so I really hope apple doesn't get rid of it.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]and your point is? I mean honestly why do you think your opinion matters? Should Apple create this device just for you? Do you really need to have 160GB worth of MP3s on yourself? I rarely listen to most of the music on my iphone now... I recently started copying only playlists that I listen to and leave the rest on my computer. If I really need one of those old songs I will sync it later....Cloud music will help with this management even further..[/citation]

Everyone has different needs. Try and keep that in mind. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
The apple product I own is a 160 G iPod classic... Having played with almost everything otu there at the time i decided between the battery life, size of the HDD price and uses (also use as a portable hdd for data) it was hard to beat, I'd be sad to see it go.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
By the way, if any of you would like to know iPod Touches are rampant in middle/high schools. You see them basically everywhere due to their ability to play games. If Apple discontinued them they would be losing a huge consumer base. Put simply: teenagers don't own iPhones.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I would imagine that iPod touch sales have greatly reduced the other versions as well.
I don't see them leaving the MP3 player market altogether though. As long as they are making a profit there is little reason to do so even more so since it would just be handing the market over
the competitors.

G

If it makes money I don't see why you'd ax it. Not like they have to put much into development for it. @ 10 years its pretty solid design. You can trim the fat a little. I suppose if they've made as many cuts as they can on the product line without affecting quality or they have gotten to the point where they would have to increase the price point too high to make it profitable then maybe it does deserve to go out. They have an image to preserve and giving a customer a bad experience can turn them away forever so they don't want to skimp too much on service or charge too much on price. Possibly it could be holding them back in the itunes arena, having to support the older devices.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Now i've owned an ipod in bygone years, but in all fairness, if you're serious about music and especially sound quality you'll by a cowon or something else anyway. One less reason to be a slave to itunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.