Rumor: Apple's iTV Making Debut at WWDC 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
i dont own or sale a single apple item, do own a samsung phone, the only thing that apple could "sale" me is a fuel cell phone, if it lasted for a week or more, full usage

, so your theory that i am a apple user is wrong, and to think, that apple and its idevices, matter.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
nah, to get a company from that almost went bust to the biggest ( in $$££ terms) in the world, with so few products, you must be doing something right

as for apple stuff being dear, that helps/hinders them, i sale a lot of droid tablets, and as they get better, in spec and build, the price goes UP, and as the spec gets closer to an ipad, so does the price

apple will paint them selfs into a corner, once say, the ipad gets real, decent well priced alternative, they cant drop the price by much, so what do they do? release a new "product" iTV......... if thats a all in one with with a "siri" interface, it will do well

sale a few tv recorders, and people hate to learn how to program it, just think if you could talk to it....... so just tack on "siri" with a sky plus/humax box.......make it work well, and its a winner

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]The point is to further fragment Television services as we know them (free broadcasts versus subscription based broadcasting and on-demand services) to out right redefining Television, if for starters iTV is higher resolution than 1080 (2160 for example) and higher refresh rate than 60hz, they would be dictating new standards the way they have with Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad etc.I've just found it interesting that over the years Apple hasn't done more to dictate standards for the content they help to distribute by controlling more labels and creating more content in-house. An Apple television studio dedicated to Apple products and news? It could happen.How you find programs to watch and how you subscribe to new services should carry over from the iPhone experience. It should be more than just putting a picture on the screen. Also just imagine all the accessories they'd have lined up for a smarter television?Also there's the full screen gaming without buying a Mac PC, which in any case iTV could have a Mac PC or iOS experience as in a desktop (for controlling your entertainment media and services), built in and not just be a dumb screen... in itself that's a huge reason to support the platform versus buying an out of date and out of touch Xbox Kinect, PS3 or Wii or Wii HD.[/citation]
Even though the the PS3 and Xbox360 are out of date, if there's an iTV it will most likely use the same hardware that's on the iPad 3, so it still isn't a match against these consoles.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Not for AAA gaming because you can always connect a console anyway if it has an HDMI port. At a couple hundred dollars if there's anything specific you just have to have x console to play because the IP is exclusive, and you don't already have it, it won't break your bank to just buy that console and game compared to whatever Apple will think is fair for a 30-50 inch iTV.

But my point was for social networking and media and other connected services, with regard to consoles all attacking the other people in the living room, the gaming agnostic, and Xbox 360 in particular being a Netflix and social networking box as much as it is being used for gaming in american living rooms.

The other question about justifying iTV, and I'll keep repeating it, is what Apple thinks the best picture format will be. What resolution would be ideal for it to hit that sweet spot for ruling the living room, short term. Too high and it becomes overkill and will be too expensive for the average consumer to care about it. Too low and it doesn't offer anything other panels don't, and critically doesn't support the main argument of prodding production and digital distribution of higher quality content. The last thing we need is an iPod revolution killing all the progress that has been made towards 1920x1080 broadcasts and Bluray for movie distribution.

iTV could provide access to OnLive and other cloud gaming services, facebook twitter etc, may provide a similar experience to Xbox Live Arcade, Kinect games, PSN and Wii-ware etc. The big panel makers are moving on to even smarter TVs that don't need anything connected to them.

What I've been asking for years, is IF it is a big iMac/A-I-O platform as in middle tier PC with a touch screen and camera and most recently Siri, and not a just giant iPod version of ATV (doubtless Apple wouldn't harm the sale of iMacs), then you'd get Steam support and possibly exclusive games depending on the hardware performance profile Apple is preparing. We'll have to wait and see. Further down that road.. what about putting in top their PC parts so you have an all in one gaming panel? Stupid expensive, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.