Rumor: Comcast Prepping 305Mbps Broadband Tier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

305 mbps? My connection is like 1.5 mbps. Man does my area suck for internet, $40 a month for 1.5 mbps.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Comcast also throttles bittorrent bandwidth to 1.5 MBps or 12Mbps on most residential connections so don't expect faster downloads unless their throttling limits are also different for the new "extreme" tier.[/citation]
Hmm... I've downloaded things like libreoffice and linux distros via bittorrent and had them max out my connection. (15mbps comcast)

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]And I bet you defend the recent raise of upgrade fees....[/citation]

I'm not defending telcos raising rates, I'm simply saying it is unfair to compare the US to say Japan because the population density/land area is not the same.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]Complete with a 250GB traffic cap.[/citation]

What a crappy thing to do... half of that is my usual daily traffic.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Right now, being in a slow area, my Cap is 35GB a month. Unless you pirate like crazy, or spend 24 hours a day streaming HD youtube videos, you won't hit a 250GB cap.I don't blame them for placing the cap, if you honestly are hitting 250GB a month, you're doing something illegal OR legal - but you're sucking the frudge out of the bandwidth.[/citation]
How about this, 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) in the house all with desktops or laptops and smartphones setup on WiFi add in 2 Xboxs on Live and NetFlix account for streaming. Guess what, that scenario can hit the cap rather easily, just because you can't see how a regular family can hit that cap doesn't mean they are doing something out of the ordinary. It's not sucking out the bandwidth when you are doing exactly what Comcast allows you to do and what you PAY for. Just cause you don't see how it is possible doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]What a crappy thing to do... half of that is my usual daily traffic.[/citation]
So you download around 4.5TB a month, nice and I thought I downloaded a lot :)

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]From Comcast itself: The 250GB limit is no longer enforced. If you have Comcast simply look at the usage meter and you would see the note. I think that they will probably start charging based on usage like cell phone companies do w minutes. They will make more money that way.[/citation]

Mine is metered. Hmm.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Even if I run two instances of Netflix and keep eMule running on my file server and keep pulling down garbage, along with, I dunno, PlayOn, pull down a copy of BackTrack5R2, LinuxMint, Mandriva, and other ISOs, Couple of WinXP/Vista/7 OS buids + patching for neighbors...
I'm still not hitting that 250GB limit.

I must be doing something wrong, although I still think 250GB is a LOT.

smuggl3r

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Even if I run two instances of Netflix and keep eMule running on my file server and keep pulling down garbage, along with, I dunno, PlayOn, pull down a copy of BackTrack5R2, LinuxMint, Mandriva, and other ISOs, Couple of WinXP/Vista/7 OS buids + patching for neighbors...I'm still not hitting that 250GB limit.I must be doing something wrong, although I still think 250GB is a LOT.[/citation]
eMule is your problem. It sucks. The download speed is sh*t. Try torrenting. I can reach 250GB in a day, lol.

G

WTF. I had 100/100 mbps for $15 / month five years ago in eastern europe!

telset

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hey you guys should move to rural Canada I get dial-up. Or if I pay 100$ a month for 15gb of data I can get bell turbo hub off cell phone network or garbage satellite 200mb limit a day. Don't argue about speed and bandwidth when there are places like Canada with developing country internet.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]telset[/nom]Hey you guys should move to rural Canada I get dial-up. Or if I pay 100$ a month for 15gb of data I can get bell turbo hub off cell phone network or garbage satellite 200mb limit a day. Don't argue about speed and bandwidth when there are places like Canada with developing country internet.[/citation]

South America and maybe Mexico also have crap internet bandwidth even compared to places such as the USA.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]telset[/nom]Hey you guys should move to rural Canada I get dial-up. Or if I pay 100$ a month for 15gb of data I can get bell turbo hub off cell phone network or garbage satellite 200mb limit a day. Don't argue about speed and bandwidth when there are places like Canada with developing country internet.[/citation]
Rural america has the same problem.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]How about this, 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) in the house all with desktops or laptops and smartphones setup on WiFi add in 2 Xboxs on Live and NetFlix account for streaming. Guess what, that scenario can hit the cap rather easily, just because you can't see how a regular family can hit that cap doesn't mean they are doing something out of the ordinary. It's not sucking out the bandwidth when you are doing exactly what Comcast allows you to do and what you PAY for. Just cause you don't see how it is possible doesn't mean it doesn't happen.[/citation]
Even easier to hit the cap with 6 people (2 parents, 4 kids). It wouldn't suck quite as much if they adjusted for the number of residents at each location (or just removed the cap altogether).

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]raidenfox123[/nom]If you read the news you would see that Comcast has got rid of the cap in most area's.If there is going to be a 305MB tier, it will not use burst tech, please educate yourself before sticking your food in your mouth.[/citation]

Kindly provide a link to the information you think we should all know. Prove how ignorant we are be pointing to the nightly news broadcast by NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox that talked about Comcast removing caps for days on end. Show me links to news blurbs in popular technical sites like Tomshardware and MaximumPC that announce Comcast's changes in service.

"has got rid of the cap" "please educate yourself before you stick your food in your mouth."

AHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, the rest of us need to educate ourselves, we are so ignorant.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Right now, being in a slow area, my Cap is 35GB a month. Unless you pirate like crazy, or spend 24 hours a day streaming HD youtube videos, you won't hit a 250GB cap.I don't blame them for placing the cap, if you honestly are hitting 250GB a month, you're doing something illegal OR legal - but you're sucking the frudge out of the bandwidth.[/citation]

You just suck at using the internet.

SuperK86

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
EPB of Chattanooga, TN is a local Fiber Optics provider that offers 1gb up/down for 350, 100mbps up/down for 140, 50mbps up/down for 70, and 30mbps up/down for 58. They also do not cap bandwitch limits.
Local companies inherently suffer from lots of business inefficiencies which cut into profits, the company has to charge more to keep profitable.

A nationwide company such as comcast with millions of subscribers has extremely high efficiency and can make more cash per mb than a little local company. However they instead charge more per mb, offer less speed, and cap your usage. Imagine the difference in profit margins between the two companies. It's all about pleasing the investors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS