Rumor: Electronic Arts Letting Go of 500 to 1,000 Workers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
I've never seen a playerbase lose respect for a developer team faster than in the case of BioWare and SWTOR. It's phenomenal, and really, it's totally justified.

The dev team assigned to TOR has no idea what they're doing and should just bow out of the MMO industry.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I hope all of EA goes under. I have BF3 and have tried playing a couple of times but it always wants a download that takes about 30 minutes to download and install. I don't really care to play online just the campaign, yet I'm forced to do all the download BS even though it should be installed and the CD is in the computer. That'll teach me to buy a game. warez rules

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
TOR was so bad it not only hurt EA but truly did damage to the whole Starwars Franchise, not that George Lucas hasn't already done a lot to harm the brand with Episodes One - Three........ which were mediocre at best.

I personally won't buy anything from EA and will not do business with the company.

The sad thing is that many of the people who EA fire will eventually get jobs with other studios. Those people really need to find a job in a different industry. A company would be foolish to touch an ex EA employee.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Too many of you are b!tch b!tch B1tching about BF3 making it out to be some unplayable buggy mess which was totally not the case.

Sure launch was not perfect and there were some small issues but the game has always been playable and I have never encountered any showstoppers (neither have my family or friends who play the game as well). Every launch game I have ever played on PC has had some sort issues (including coveted publishers like Blizzard).

BF3 as a game itself has overall been ok if not good. Its EA's Origin POS service which has been the massive failure in my opinion.

I hope the clear the deck with all the executives and start fresh.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Reasons why EA sucks: forced Origin on Steam loyalist, ME3, BF3, business models trumps user experience, lost massive amounts of gamers due to the way they do business, screwed Popcap games future for casual gamers,...

This is what happens when money trumps game quality. A business must generate a good balance sheet BUT if you screw your clientèle while doing that, then you lost sight of what your business is actually doing to make money. This is EA.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Bf3 is a great game, but yeah, I hate origin, I hate the ranking system, and every server I go has at least one hacker ruining the game for everyone, and I've been playing since the beta working on my unlocks, and trying to get my stats up, and now they released an update so lil rich kids can pay to get all the good stuff and lay waste to anyone in there path with better weaponry. I still love the game, but EA focus's way to much on profit and not enough on actual gameplay. Bf3 is a great game, and it has awesome graphics, but it's years later, and it's to be expected in any sequel to Bf2, but i'd say the negatives put it in the same class as Bf2. Maybe EA should focus on making games, let steam sell them, and stop wasting money on origin. And here is another idea, do something about the hackers. Maybe an in game report system?
How come on the console if you throw a grenade and die, the grenade explodes and kills someone, but on the pc it just dissapears? Same thing with the claymores... The game balance is all off. Need to work on that.

And how about some Bf3 posters? i see MW3 posters all up in every store I go in, but can't for the life of me find any Bf3 posters. And the Bf3 xbox 360 mod looks like crap to me. I'm more into the PC game, but i'd buy a poster, and maybe some other BF3 peripherals if they had some.

Another thing with EA used console games, it's pissing a lot of people off with them having to buy online pass's to play a used game. I'm mainly a PC gamer, so it's not a huge deal to me, but my Console playing friends hate EA because of it. Just FYI.

Here is my advice to EA, or any game developers, focus on making an awesome game, one that is stable, and focus on what gamers want, and address our concerns, and stop focusing on money money money. If the game is good, it'll sell itself like minecraft. A good game will make money. But if you focus on just making money, and ruin the game with stuff like in game transactions, overall your killing the game.

Nobody really likes the in game mini transactions, i'd stick to selling expansion packs. In game transactions kills the game balance, and it pisses off people play for hours to earn there stuff, and it gives rich kids the advantage.

Also, again, If it wasn't battlefield 3, I would never even have Origin on my PC. I wonder how many sales they lost because of that.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I would not want to work for these guys anyways. Worst company in America at the moment I believe. Probably the worst in the world too. They've got some really shady business practices, according to Wikipedia.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
This is what sucks about major corporations, is that if they're not making a certain level of profit, board members are forced to do everything they can in order to gain a certain net profit for share holders.

Look at best buy, their situation is, 'we're not growing at this rate, therefore we're failing' They make money, apparently not enough for the stock holders :(

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Westwood: Dead.
Bullfrog: Dead.
Maxis: Dead.

No progress in C&C since Red Alert.
No true sequel to Syndicate
No faithful expansion of SimCity/SimTower

And no gaming innovation from truly unique titles...

These losses still sting.

Status
Not open for further replies.