Rumor: Kindle Fire 2 Shipping in May or June

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Thought they did pretty well with the first one, given the aggressive market pricing and rush for the holiday. Be interesting to see what they do this time...

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
$250 cost per unit? This contradicts other reports that estimated the cost per unit to Amazon at about $197 each, which would pretty much be a break even. Amazon themselves have said that they are not selling the unit at a loss. Remember, the Fire is built from unused components intended for the Playbook. Since Quanta had these already in inventory I would bet that they gave Amazon a hell of a deal to get them out the door.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I bought a Kindle Fire and used it some, but realistically it does not get a lot of play. I don't see much use for it, but then I'm not really a tablet guy.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I am surprised not to see some bashing about using foxconn, oh wait this this isn't about a apple device but a android. So sorry my bad.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Every big name electronic device company uses Foxconn, stop buying anything electronic to boycott Foxconn....and good luck with that haha....or move to Utah

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]$250 cost per unit? This contradicts other reports that estimated the cost per unit to Amazon at about $197 each, which would pretty much be a break even. Amazon themselves have said that they are not selling the unit at a loss. Remember, the Fire is built from unused components intended for the Playbook. Since Quanta had these already in inventory I would bet that they gave Amazon a hell of a deal to get them out the door.[/citation]

I'm just guessing, but they are probably factoring in the R&D, software costs, and advertising/marketing into the $250. If I'm not mistaken, the $197 was hardware only.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I bought a Kindle Fire and used it some, but realistically it does not get a lot of play. I don't see much use for it, but then I'm not really a tablet guy.[/citation]

Windows 8 to the rescue!

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Every big name electronic device company uses Foxconn, stop buying anything electronic to boycott Foxconn....and good luck with that haha....or move to Utah[/citation]

Moving to Utah does not prevent you from buying electronics. Just from using the internet.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I am surprised not to see some bashing about using foxconn, oh wait this this isn't about a apple device but a android. So sorry my bad.[/citation]

i dont care at all that apple uses foxxcon, and i make that clear every time i post in those articles, you work their by choice, i dont care, if they are forced, i have a big problem.

that said, apple owes all of its success to the mp3 player, that they over charge for, the iphone, which they REALLY over charge for, and the ipad, which again, they REALLY over charge for. the only reason they make money is because of those items, because their pc side... well... had crashed and burned before, and turning it into a lifestyle product is the only thing that kept them floating.

that said, they have how much money? and they use what is close to slave labor... thats what people really have a problem with. its when slave like labor is used to create a over priced luxury product.

24oz

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ragenalien[/nom]Moving to Utah does not prevent you from buying electronics. Just from using the internet.[/citation]
And buying alcohol on Sundays.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]and they use what is close to slave labor... thats what people really have a problem with. its when slave like labor is used to create a over priced luxury product.[/citation]
In the local economy Foxconn workers get almost double the average wage and commit suicide at a tenth of the national average.
Slave wages? Get a grip

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]In the local economy Foxconn workers get almost double the average wage and commit suicide at a tenth of the national average....Slave wages? Get a grip[/citation]

ok, call it indentured servitude, what ever name it is, its close to slave labor. alot of what they are payed is duducted from the checks and used as living expenses, and at that point who knows if they are recieveing all of whats deducted either.

G

I expect the Fire 2 will have a camera so that Amazon can take advantage of its comparative-shopping app, which requires that your device can image barcodes, etc. To use that app best it should also have LTE 4G connectivity so that, while standing in a bricks-and-mortar store, you can image a product and then connect to Amazon's servers to retrieve their price. Since those features are important to Amazon's bottom line, I expect them to be included sooner than other features. My personal priority is that they allow the operating system to access a user's Amazon Cloud Drive for documents, video, and other items. Right now it only accesses a user's music from the Cloud Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.