Rumor: New iPhone to Have 4.6-inch Retina Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Excellent. By the time a rumor is posted as an article here, it has already been discredited by several gadget/phone blogs.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
with most of its rivals producing bigger devices, Apple's iPhone is starting to look a little bit small when it comes to screen real estate.
A little bit? A 4.3" screen literally has 150% of the available screen space.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
So what. yet another overpriced phone.
How much longer until we reach market saturation and the stock tanks as a result ?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If they keep the 4:3 ratio that phone will be WIDE! ...(see LG's latest 5" iteration)
If they don't keep it, problems with the apps rendering...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Can we please drop that trendy "retina display" meaningless buzzword? Seriously, the only people who are naive enough to be persuaded by meaningless buzzwords are the ones who will buy the next iDevice no matter how badly it sucks.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]So what. yet another overpriced phone.How much longer until we reach market saturation and the stock tanks as a result ?[/citation]

not too much longer... it's pretty much enthusiasts driving it now.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'd like a high-end phone with a 3.5" screen. Sure it's smallish but I like to be able to take the phone out of my pants pocket while I'm sitting down and I can't do that with SGS II.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have seen the commercials for the Galaxy Note. I noticed they don't actually show it being used as a phone in any of them. There comes a point when the phone will be so big no one wants to hold that up to their face. I don't want a phone that's a tablet, I want a phone that's a phone. I will use my tablet for the tablet stuff.

Osiris454

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
If I remember right it was Job's who wanted to display to stay at no larger than 3.5in. He said he disliked a large phone and thought the trend of larger screens was a mistake. If it was true, then with Job's passing then the restriction was removed.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Osiris454[/nom]If I remember right it was Job's who wanted to display to stay at no larger than 3.5in. He said he disliked a large phone and thought the trend of larger screens was a mistake. If it was true, then with Job's passing then the restriction was removed.[/citation]
True dat
Dead men can't hold back progress

G

i call bull....i could see apple increasing the screen size on the iphone 5 but not to something gigantic like 4.6 inches...at most we will see a 4" iphone 5.

and to the person complaining about "retina" displays....i thought it was all hype until i got one. the difference is really helpful when browsing as i don't need to zoom in nearly as much. I think using the term is fair and the meaning is clear, essentially a screen whose PPI is high enough that at the expected distance of use you cannot see the pixels...even if this isn't quite scientific, i would agree that the iphone 4, iphone 4s, htc rezound and new ipad(3rd gen) do have "retina displays"

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Not happening. So un-Apple like. Their current size is a bit small, I agree, but they'd still do something easy to hold and use with one hand, I'm thinking 4" at most like the Nexus S.

Status
Not open for further replies.