Rumor: Next iPhone Getting 3.2 MP Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Meh, been there, done that. I doubt many people buy iPhones for their camera, because it sucks worse than anything else.

It's sad to know that when iPhone is just about to come out with 3.2MP, other phones are moving towards 4 and 5MP. Apple is always one step behind.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
...5.0mp is common now... 3.2 will be old news by the time it gets here. Sure it's decent now, but by the time it's released, it's going to be just as mediocre as the iphone/ipod touch always was.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I would rather have a higher quality 3.2MP over a lesser quality 5MP if this is the case. I've worked in a photo lab for almost a year and most people always print 4x6" size only. Our printers print up to 300DPI. A 4x6 would there for be around 1200x1800 pixels. This is barely over 2MP in size. So the trend of higher MP in camera is surely a marketing thing in phones for the most part. After all, who is going to make an 11x14 out of even a 5MP Camera. Especially one from a cell phone with a very small CCD?

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Good, now the megapixel race is also on phones. Just as meaningless as for point-n-shoot cameras but an important marketing feature.

G

That's why at that time I preferred N95 8GB... And that's why I'm gonna get Omnia HD. I can't really understand how can you buy a phone, that doesnt have common functions, relying just on OS and good looks. They're putting this 3.2MP camera just to count as an improvement, in fact there will be no difference. Like SE Idou - putiing 12MP won't make better picture than any 5MP or 8MP camera, just bigger one. But I really doubt that Apple will put 5MP+ camera. Or fully functioning bluetooth.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. You guys walk into Best Buy and buy the camera with the most mega pixel or the one that takes the best pictures? Higher megapixel != higher quality image. There are phones out there with 5mp cameras that take pictures that looks like crap compared to the iPhone camera.

I'm not saying the iPhone camera is good because it most definitely is not but megapixels is such a dumb way to classify how good or bad a camera is.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Well at least they're not boasting that "NATIVE 640x480 - 5 GIGAPIXELS" interpolated thing. 3.2MP? Okay nice, but can I print any of those pics?

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Who prints pictures these days? I havent gotten a picture printed for over 7 years at least. I take picture for my phone, or to upload them to my computer. Not to print them, if you want pictures to print, buy a camera. Phones are for mobile devices.

Have you ever seen someone with a tiny picture on myspace/facebook where you cant even see whats in the picture? That is really annoying, we need better camera phones. Im good with stepping up the game, Plus how much could that possibly cost? The most exspensive part in a camera is the processor ect anyways. Thats why a cannon 8mp costs $250 and a 8mp G&E camera costs $79, its the insides.

G

if the photo lab printing is cheaper for the rest of the size other then the 4x6, i will print it...there's one time I was traveling oversea and using their photo lab service, it was so amazing that the paper quality,color, speed, ease of used and price are so much better and cheaper then any photo lab I can get in San Francisco bay area or NYC, even after factor in the currency exchange. Man..what's wrong with the service quality here?

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Is this really a big rumor? Of course Apple is going to upgrade most of the components in the iPhone 2.0. Upgrades include CPU (Atom or faster Arm), GPU (next powerVR multicore), true GPS, Camera (3.2MP... actually 5MP+ would be my guess), more memory (apple wants multiple apps open like Palm Pre), more storage (32 if not 64MB), better screen (Higher res OLED which also improves battery life), Faster 3G/4G (7.2Mbps HSDPA, or Apple's 4G LTE), faster Wifi (wirless N), pullout keyboard, etc are all going to be in iPhone 2.0.

Links to back up theories...
CPU
http://www.thestandard.com/predictions/suggestions/iphone-2-0-use-intel-atom-processor

Multi-core GPU
http://www.thestandard.com/predictions/suggestions/iphone-2-0-use-intel-atom-processor

OLED Screen
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/03/apples-new-iphone-to-include-an-oled-screen-to-improve-battery-life.html

Physical Keyboard
http://www.applematters.com/article/iphone-20-part-one-a-physical-keyboard/

4G Speed
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/23/next-generation-iphone-7-2mbit-video-camera-more/

G

tried the 2.0meg on iphone 3g... i have shaky hands which makes things alot more difficult to get a decent a picture... u need to hold it real still.. if they improve the camera quality.. maybe iphone can be a good buy... the way i see it.. it's classy but not good value...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]wira[/nom]tried the 2.0meg on iphone 3g... i have shaky hands which makes things alot more difficult to get a decent a picture... u need to hold it real still.. if they improve the camera quality.. maybe iphone can be a good buy... the way i see it.. it's classy but not good value...[/citation]
There is an app you can install that can fix this. After the button is pushed to take a picture it will delay the shutter until the camera is completely still. That function should have been built into the OS, like most others, but at least its available somehow.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I have an iphone and I can say the camera give surprising good images in well lite condition. Maybe someone expect to take pictures in the dark? MP doesn't mean $h!t. The only thing they should improve is shorter contract because the price of the current iphone and it's contract is the worst part of all.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
To quote my brother "I'm glad my company paid for this piece of junk and not me or I'd be really annoyed."

In reference to his 3G iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.